University and lentgh of time taken for A levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmum

University and lentgh of time taken for A levels

Post by tiredmum »

My dd is in year 10 and on the accelerated scheme some schools have been using - which means she takes all her gcses plus one AS(critical thinking) this May.

Next year (year 11) the school wants her to start two As's plus a couple of gcses and then the following year, when she is doing the two A2's , to start 2 more As's.

Each individual complete A level will only take 2 years to complete but obviosuly the four will be done over 3 years. I have been told that universities are not keen on this? I need to find out for sure before I let her start the courses this sept.

Many thanks, any help appreciated :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

just started shift at work so can't give too long a rely but yes this is the case for some courses (medicine and I expect others) - they want to see 3 As in 2 years minimum. I am keen to make sure DD does this depsite her school trying to accelerate. Option is to do less important in year 11 and the one you really need in 12 and 13.

It is easier to do 4 over 3 rather than 3 over 2. Better still do 4 over 2....
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Having done quite a lot of research lately on behalf of increasingly cynical and disillusioned Miss Magwich the consensus seems to be that the good universities want to know that a student can cope with doing 3 a levels at the same time without unduly exerting themselves.
Most of the good ones also want a clutch of A*s at gcse - 8 or more seems to be the norm and even an A will not really do.
The better the university the less they appear to be interested in all the activities such as d of e, young enterprise etc etc that are done by every man and his dog nowadays!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Magwich - very much my feeling re A levels, Bit like back to the olden days...

re the personal statement - I am relieved if this is the case as I think most of the activities are pointless. I have interviewed students and thet had all done a stream of things but when you spoke to them it was not clear what benefit they had got from this.

I suppose the question re As is 3 or 4.. ?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

thanks guys
this is what i thought!
With all this in mind do you think it would be better for her to to do 1 As in year 11(completing the A2 in year 12) and then do 3 more in year 12 to complete in year 13?
And ahould the more important ones be the 3 together? :?: :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

magwich2 wrote: The better the university the less they appear to be interested in all the activities such as d of e, young enterprise etc etc that are done by every man and his dog nowadays!
I have to agree magwich, Miss Yoyo didn't have any of the 'extras' on her application, what she did have was all A/A* GCSEs, 3 As at A level , 2 AEAs and an absolute passion for her chosen subject (history) she is now at UCL (600 interviewees for 60 places) and was offered 2 Es at A level for Royal Holloway, Gap years have become an industry, but if candidates display a real passion for their subject and can prove dedication to learning I think this counts for far more at "real" universities.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Miss Magwich is very tempted by a gap year but she fears her plans would not cut the mustard!!
She would like to spend much of the year in bed, shopping, going to the cinema and generally recovering from the last 13 years at the State brainwashing facility aka school.
I am afraid she will have to pretend to want to do something more "worthy"!!
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Wow :shock: :D Well done to your DD yoyo :D
Forgive me for having a senior moment but what are 2AEAs?
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Would really appreciate anymore info on this question. I have got to decide soon if my dd takes 2 As's in year 11 and then another 2 in year 12. Am so worried it may have knock on effects when it comes to choosing an uni course. She is interested in perhaps doing Maths. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have a look at the maths entry requirements for a sample of universities. the crucial A levels are maths and further maths. The rest can usually be any topics (friends of mine did greek and latin other did chem and phys).

I suspect that if you did maths in year 11 then start further maths in year 12 it would be OK - might be worth running it past and admissions tutor - give them call