SATS Comprehension paper

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

SATS Comprehension paper

Post by tiredmum »

Anyone having a similar problem - my dd appears to be very good at past comprehension papers. If i let her finish she is geting a level 5, HOWEVER my problem is that when i time her (45 min for the answer booklet) she is not able to finish and missing out on the level 5 by just a couple of marks :!:

Any tips :?:
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Not sure if your daughter works through sequentially or jumps over questions if she's not sure of the answer. My son used to run out of time and miss questions he knew how to answer at the end because to got stuck on questions earlier on.

This was solved by putting a mark by questions that he wasn't sure about and then after getting to the end of the paper going back and answering those he missed out.

Also does she underline key words in the text as she reads? If not this helps to locate the right place in the text when going back to answer the questions.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Thanks so much for you reply. We have talked about when she has ten mins left looking through the paper and just doing the ones that are left that she knows she will be able to tackle.

I asked her about underlineing text in the booklet and she thought she was not allowed to :?: Does your ds get told he is allowed to do this ?
:)
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Underlining the key words is a recommended strategy by all the tuition books I've seen on comprehension. My son underlines on the practice papers they are given and has said that nobody has told him not to (though they may not have noticed!). Even if it is frowned upon at your daughter's school (perhaps becasue they want to re use the papers year after year) it is a must for practice and to do in the actual test. All the past papers from 2003 seem to be available free on the internet (see separate forum thread on past papers) so you could always print out your own copy for her to practice on.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Tiredmum how do you mark her comprehension? I have a book with guide but I find it really hard to mark comprehension. Its kind of a bit beyond me at the moment. Maths is more my comfort zone as there is only one answer. Same for composition, I find it even harder. I am personally not a creative writer :cry:

Underlining keywords definately seems a great strategy. Also how about telling her to spend most time on questions with higher marks first?
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

hi guys

I have been using past papers from online sites, and they have a very comprehensive marking booklet with them.

I will tell her to underline key parts and explain that when she takes it in school - as its the "proper" sats - the papers will not be used again.

ITs a good idea about paying attention to the higher mark questions, will get her to try that and let you know how i get on.

I know what you mean sherry about marking creative writing. Its very difficult - so i dont do it :lol: my dd is a good writer so am just relying on the school to keep her on track with it. (fingers crossed) :lol:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Just a quick update.
Did another past sats comprehension paper. Talked with her about all the points raised in this thread and she did loads better in the time given. She was only 2 questions away from finishing and would have scored a secure level 5. Am hoping she does the same in the REAL sats :lol: Thanks for all your help :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There is an excellent set of books, published by Rising Stars. Called Achieve Level 5.

It gives model answer and shows what is expected,
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Thanks yoyo
i do have the maths one of these, may take a look at the english one too :)
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Bonds How to do comprehension is an excellent book. Lots of tips.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now