Received appeal date and other advice please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Seaside Mum

Received appeal date and other advice please

Post by Seaside Mum »

Hi, I have just received confirmation of my appeal hearing date which is in 2 weeks time. With the letter came the GSs Admission Appeals Defence Statement plus the Head teachers Appeal documents all of which make very interesting reading.
The HGS's defence document states that they have had 290 applications which seems a huge amount? Does anyone know if this is usual? It also sates that the published admission number is 150 with 129 so far admitted for Sept Y7. I hadn't realised that I would get to see the HT appeal notes. I wish I had asked to see these previously now!
Anyway, not long to go now. I guess this is where I should now start to think about what I am actually going to SAY when Im in front of the panel....hmmm panic! is everyone taking notes along to read or trying to remember a rehearsed speech?
The very best of luck to everyone going through this process and thanks for such a fantastic forum, its been a fountain of information, guidance and support throughout the past few months!
keane34

Post by keane34 »

Hi Seaside Mum. I would definitely recommend taking in notes, even if they are just there as a back up. At our appeal last year I read my entire presentation from a sheet as I knew my mind would go blank as soon as I was in front of the panel. The panel were very kind and went out of their way to put us at our ease but even so I wanted to make sure I got all of the points across. Panels understand how nervous parents are and don't expect perfect presentations - they just need to know all the facts in order to make their decision.
Wishing you all the best in your appeal.
tottington

Post by tottington »

Hi Seaside mum,
notes, bullet points or the whole speech in front of you is definitely a good idea: putting it together helps you clarify the arguments you're putting forward in your own mind, and you may be surprised at just how nervous you'll feel when in front of the panel members (unless, of course, you're one of life's serene people :wink: ).
I can only speak from personal experience, but I found the notes invaluable - they acted a bit like an anchor - and if you go a bit 'wobbly' somewhere along the way (as I did), I'm sure the panel members will understand, and all you'll have to do is find the place again in your prepared 'speech'.
Best of luck with your appeal!!
tottington
capers123

Re: Received appeal date and other advice please

Post by capers123 »

Seaside Mum wrote:Hi, I have just received confirmation of my appeal hearing date which is in 2 weeks time. With the letter came the GSs Admission Appeals Defence Statement plus the Head teachers Appeal documents all of which make very interesting reading.
The HGS's defence document states that they have had 290 applications which seems a huge amount? Does anyone know if this is usual? It also sates that the published admission number is 150 with 129 so far admitted for Sept Y7. I hadn't realised that I would get to see the HT appeal notes. I wish I had asked to see these previously now!
Anyway, not long to go now. I guess this is where I should now start to think about what I am actually going to SAY when Im in front of the panel....hmmm panic! is everyone taking notes along to read or trying to remember a rehearsed speech?
Hi,

The numbers from the school sound pretty normal to me (not knowing that school, though) - In our area, about 50% of applications don't pass.

Everyone gets to see all of the docs associated with the appeal, so all of the information you sent in will be sent to both the panel members and the LEA / school side. That's why you've been sent their docs. It's so everyone can study both sides cases before getting to the appeal.

As for what you say, some people take a full script and read it word for word, others take brief notes to remind them of subjects to raise, others read out the document they sent in, and some take nothing, more or less busking it. The panel will not be influenced by which method you use - it's what you feel most comfortable with. Don't forget, though, that they will have read your appeal document carefully before the day, and probably skimmed through it to remind themselves just before you come in, so reading it all out again isn't over helpful. Do be ready to ask any questions of the other side - if there are indeed any you need to ask!

Appeals are designed to be as informal as possible. It's not meant to be adversorial, so you may find that the LEA side are pleasant - even friendly sometimes towards you. I've even known LEA point out to the panel things that the parents had forgotten to mentioned (though that is pretty rare).

Good luck
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

reading it all out again isn't over helpful
I entirely agree with Capers. If the original submission was detailed and up-to-date, I think it's best just to remind the panel briefly of the main points. Don't bore them. If they want more information, they'll ask!
Etienne
Seaside Mum

Post by Seaside Mum »

Thanks everyone for your advice. The statement I sent was quite brief (nearly 2 sides of A4) but it did encompasse everything I wanted to say; mostly by way of bullet points. I am now getting together typed up notes which I can refer to during the hearing. Gawd this has come round so soon now! Im still not sure whether to take a friend in or not. DSs father is away but Im thinking of asking someone to come with me - just for moral support. :)
Thanks again
SSM
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

The same thing happened to me - other half was away - as always - but I was so pleased that I took a friend along for moral support - she was "au fait" with my case- and was a real help when I stumbled - and I remember at one point the panel asked me a question and I blurbled on and asked i am sorry - what was the question - and my friend answered it for me, as she was so familiar with the case - I think if you could have someone to go along for moral support - it really does help. All the best for you.
many thanks
dejavu
Seaside Mum

Post by Seaside Mum »

Thanks Dejavu, I have now arranged for a good friend to accompany me! My appeal is now less than a week away and panic is setting in! Thank goodness for this forum, at least we know we are not alone!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

good luck! :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Good luck from me too, my *fingers are crossed* for you!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now