12+ Reviews in Medway

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lorraine38

12+ Reviews in Medway

Post by Lorraine38 »

Hi I wonder if any one can help me! My daughter is at a secondary school in Medway in Year 7 she failed her 11+ by 8 points. We were told by her Junior School that she would pass with no trouble as she was one of the highest kids in her Class. On the day she was upset with the whole procedure and didn't read the extended writing question properly so got the lowest mark you could get. We went to Review but was turned down. She also got all 5's for her SATS. She is getting on really well in her new school and is top of her class, she has recently done her Cats and was told that she got the highest marks in her class. She has been put in an able and talented group so she is with other kids the same as her, and has also been told that next year she can do work above her, if she feels happy with that.

I have contacted the council about her getting a review to be transferred to a Grammer School, does anyone know: If other children have got through this way? If yes have they settled in alright?

Should I just keep her where she is? but what worries me is although at the moment she is doing really well, their are other kids in her school and class who really arent' that bothered about school and I don't want her losing her focus! Any advice from anyone this has happened to, would be greatly appreciated.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

I think you should push for a review as it sounds like she is a really motivated student who would fit in well at grammar. I am in the Medway but dont know anyone who has got through that way - i think because the kids settle at their new schools and often dont want to move. How does your Dd feel about moving? and what levels is she achieving? :) I do know girls at my dd's grammar who arrived in year 8, maybe they got in this way, anyhow they settled down easily :)
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Hi Tiredmum

Am I allowed to ask which GS your DD goes to, as we will be trying to choose this year & any real life experiences from parents appreciated..
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i will pm you ruby :)
Lorraine38

Post by Lorraine38 »

Hi Tiredmum thanks for the advice. I have spoken to her about moving and she said that she is happy too because she wants to go to a Grammar School, she was completely devastated when she didn't pass her 11+ she also has a lot of friends at Grammar School, so she would know people.

Although she has some really nice friends she has made since moving as well.

Other than her CAT results, when I saw her teacher she said there was nothing bad to say about her, she said she was doing really well and does exactly what she is told with no problems at all. She is Form Captain of her class and gets on really well with her form teacher. Can't remember will have to check but when I last looked at her results she was meeting all of her targets except English which I think she was one under what her target was for the end of the year.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

The council may tell you what levels she needs to stand a good chance, thinks its high level 5's but not sure. Also why don't you contact the grammars you are interested in, as at my dd's school i think if girls move into area they take a test at the school. I know you are not out of area but they may let you know if that is also a route open to your dd :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Doesnt she have to do the 12+ then to get in? I thought the only way to get in a grammar is through testing and havent heard about going in through a review???

If you are prepared for her to do another test then why not give it a go now as it may be difficult moving her much later.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

in medway we have a 12plus reveiw system if your child is of a high enough level and backed by their teachers :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Oh I didnt know, so its just being backed by your teachers and you are in?

Then its worth having a go really, I thought it would be more tests but if she has perfoming well Lorraine as you say then go for it.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:Oh I didnt know, so its just being backed by your teachers and you are in?

Then its worth having a go really, I thought it would be more tests but if she has perfoming well Lorraine as you say then go for it.
I am not sure if its as easy as that. I know if a child goes to review at 11plus it can be less than 1 in 4 who get passed. Also even if your dc gets through the 12 plus then there has to be places available at the school you want, if not then you would need to appeal :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now