Extremely bright but socially awkaward boys and independents

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ealingmum

Extremely bright but socially awkaward boys and independents

Post by ealingmum »

How do independent schools handle extremley bright, perhaps on the autistic spectrum,boys who also find it difficult to relate to others.
I have been told that many schools with an eye to their league table position do have a policy of taking a proportion of applicants in this category. This raises a number of questions:

-What effort or support do the schools provide to develop the said students social and other skills (not just intellectual)

- Do the schools reject some who have passed the exams (but over a certain number the school can't cope with); what's the policy with rejecting some,not others;

- if dc applicants, not so socially challenged, have to pass an interview how are the interview criteria applied to the different types of applicants;
katel

Post by katel »

Not sure you can lump all independents together - would it perhaps be better to talk to the individual schools you are considering and ask them whoat their approach would be with a child like yours?
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

My child isn't 'like that' as you put it (I do so deplore the personal on this site), thank goodness - intellectual ability is far less important than social and personal skills, and of course simple hard work.

But your point about naming the schools is fair. I am thinking of the usual suspects; St Pauls or Colet court, KCS, Westminster and perhaps Hampton
katel

Post by katel »

Puzzled that I seem to have upset you - I said "a child like yours". Meaning a child with the characteristics you mentioned in your post. Struggling to see how that could offend. Ho hum. I'll remember not to try and help another time.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

I am not offended personally by your respnse only witht e assumptions that posters to this sire can only think in terms of their own personal circumstances.

I suppose I am interested in the policy aspects of selecting some applicants or the kind decribed but not others - and whether the schools help these DC in terms of the social aspects of life. If so how?

There have been many extremely bright kids over the years (featured bizzarely by their parents on TV shows) who have struggled - the Oxford prodigy Ruth? Comes to mind. If schools are accepting such DC for league table purposes what support are they providing them?
katel

Post by katel »

I was answering your post. No reference to my personal circumstances at all. What an odd reply.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

Your assumption about MY personal circumstances, not your personal circumstances.
katel

Post by katel »

What assumption did I make?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ealingmum's bete noire, apparently!

Most people ask questions because they need answers to them. I'm sure, you're aware of this EM, but you seem to enjoy berating posters who dare to assume your questions / statements are based on personal experience or who respond with something based on their own experience.

You could always preface your posts with something along the lines of 'Posters who think only in terms of their own personal circumstances need not respond'. This ought to attract like-minded posters.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am not offended personally by your respnse only witht e assumptions that posters to this sire can only think in terms of their own personal circumstances.

Pot, Kettle, Black! :lol:

note to self: reading EM's posts much more fun when drunk....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now