If I don't reply...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

If I don't reply...

Post by capers123 »

Hi, Chaps,

people occasionally PM me here especially at this time of year about appeals.

If I don't reply in the next week or so, there's a good reason behind it - I'm off to France as the co-driver for a friend whose twin daughters are stuck with grandparents in Nice and really should be back at school. Her husband is a little tied up at the moment (for another three weeks or so), so can't drive with her. She put out an SOS as it's a long way for one person to drive, so muggins though I'd offer.

Stopping off for a night in Champagne and a day to recover in Nice make it just about OK :-)

Hope the weather is nice. Back Friday evening, followed by an early start on Saturday (to drive the children to Lancaster for a load of concerts & workshops that they're teaching).
Capers
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good luck Capers!!

Have heard about several sets of aprents making marathon car trips across Europe to collect kids - seems to be the only way with the trains on strike too. Hope it goes well!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hope you have a good trip don't envy you that distance. The ferry we returned in on Sunday was incredibly busy.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

It wasn't bad. I've seen bits of France I've never seen before, drunk champagne in Champagne that had a crown cap (beer bottle type) instead of a cork, yet was the best I've ever tasted (home made in small farmhouse, untaxed). Great food even for a veggie like me. I paddled in the Med. And drove 1,000 miles, arriving home tonight. Increased my very limited French and Spanish comprehension & vocab (the girls were practicing the latter in the car on the way home 'tranquillo, tranquillo).

Tomorrow I drive my family to Lancaster - such a short local trip. Back sometime Sunday.
Capers
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I can only assume the Lancaster trip paled by comparison. We will be driving down through France in August and that Champagne sounds tres interesting.

No matter how much time I spend in the country my French still doesn't get any better :?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Lancaster was OK. The children were only performing (and teaching workshops to adults) on the Saturday, so Sunday morning, 'on the way' home, I took them to Barbondale and Dent then over to Ingleton. Not quite as spectacular as the pre-alps, but still pretty good, to the point where the children both requested a holiday there. Luckily, we have friends who live in Dent, who also happen to have a holiday cottage there that was available in August...
Capers