Gloucestershire Admission Forum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gloucestermum

Gloucestershire Admission Forum

Post by gloucestermum »

Here are the latest minutes from the March meeting.Some interesting points,they also confirm that The High School for Girls will become a Foundation school from 1st April 2010 and that Sir Thomas Rich will be the only community grammar remaining in the county.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/utili ... iaid=37607

GM
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

What difference does it make to a school to have Foundation status verses community status? I do not understand what the terms actually allow the school to do, or not do.

gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

All community schools – primary, secondary and special - have the option to investigate foundation status. This leads to a change in governance of the school such that the governing body:

Becomes the employer of the school staff
Becomes the admissions authority for the school within the requirements of the school admissions code
Takes on ownership of the school’s land and assets
Foundation schools remain local authority maintained schools.

Found a good website which explains what a foundation and trust school is-

http://www.trustandfoundationschools.or ... hools.aspx
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

So effectively, in a community school, the LEA owns the land, buildings and all the other assets of the school, and employs the staff. The supervision of the school is delegated to the governing body.

In a foundation school, the governors own the land and buildings, and employ the staff. Wonder why Tommies is the only one left?

Interesting article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... .education
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Hmmm interesting..those links were very useful-as i had no idea on the difference!will be watching this with interest.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

A parent told me they wanted more control over their admissions. It will be interesting to see what changes they do make. I am hoping they will continue with their links to Tommies though? It will be disappointing if the disco's stop as I think it is important to have that sort of link with single sex schools. It is my one regret about Tommies that it isn't co-ed being that we are a houseful of boys.
Milla

Post by Milla »

how can they have more control over their admissions if using the same test and, presumably, operating the same first past the tape thing. How would the criteria change if they are running it???? Don't get.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now