Alone in Berlin Hans Fallada 3 2.5%

Woman in White Wilkie Collins 3 2.5%

Somme Mud E P F Lynch 2 1.7%

Mudbound Hillary Jordan 2 1.7%

Dark Clue James Wilson 2 1.7%

Smoke and Mirrors Neil Gaiman 2 1.7%

Mist Over Pendle Robert Neil 1 0.8%

Total Votes cast 120

I suggest we start our first discussion (To kill a mocking bird) on 24th May. Hopefully, this will allow people enough time to acquire the book. Sally-Anne suggested (and I agree) that we drop a few books so that we don't go on with this round for a long time. If you could suggest where you want to draw the line I will post a timetable for all the books so that people can start ordering the books form their libraries (I was thinking we could discuss each book for 3 weeks before going on to the next one). As someone had suggested, we will have a different thread for each book, so that you can go on discussing a particular book for as long as you like.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

When you say 'discuss the book for three weeks' does that include the reading time? Otherwise I think three weeks may be a bit much just to discuss the book?

Perhaps to simplify things we could just say 1 month for each book? IE: get your book on the first of the month and three weeks later (giving ample time to read it) we discuss it for one week, then on the first on the next month we start again??

Just all suggestions to simplify things, I'm quite happy to go along with what others thoughts are.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

PS: My thoughts on where to draw the line? Take the top six.

The others can always be resubmitted when the list opens again. We then have six months worth of books to be going on with.

Again, just my thoughts :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'd have thought start with a new book each month. Titles endlessly doing the rounds become sort of tired and grubby-looking. Or what happens on another site I go to (the adulterer!!) there is a book of the (in their case) quarter with a second choice to be responded to as and when without rules of waiting for a date. Inevitably, the discussions on the second book, the supposed also ran, are much juicier and the book generally better and less "obvious". Just my tuppenceworth! :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If we have to trim the list (which will mean the more challenging choices never get read) I'd suggest take the top six.

Mike
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

well done Bromley Mum for getting this going

I agree taking the top six and having one a month seems a good plan for simplicity

am also liking the idea of a second choice for those who read quickly/have more time/low boredom threshold

could the second six run in parallel as a second book of the month for those that want?

PS a collaborative approach is never going to work with such an opinionated forum so very happy for you to just decide what to do and tell us all to get on with it whatever the decision
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I like the idea of a 2nd six running alongside for those who want to do it - which I would like to do, time allowing :shock:
moved

Post by moved »

Not my suggestion, but it was one of my choices and is now at the bottom. I shall have to read Mist over Pendle alone :cry:

I think the top 6 - I probably won't have time for all 6, but will pick and choose.

Thanks Bromley mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Just a suggestion - perhaps the bottom six could be the ones running in parallel, so the less popular choices get read by those who want to and no one needs to miss out on the more popular ones through lack of time to read two books a month.

Mike
doodles

Post by doodles »

Top 6 with each new book starting on 1st of month.

Bottom 6 also starting on 1st of month - can either do both books / have a choice if one of the titles isn't your cup of tea (remember its better to read something than nothing at all :wink: :lol: ) or have a second book if you read really quickly.

Can then just have two threads running at same time.

Any good?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now