What do they ask in Reasoning and General Paper?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

What do they ask in Reasoning and General Paper?

Post by sherry_d »

Some of the school my DD will sit the exam have reasoning and general paper and I wanted to find out what really these are.

The school says the reasoning paper includes verbal and non verbal standards question which arent multiple choice. My DD's group will be the first to do the reasoning as they are getting rid of science so there arent any sample papers. Are the reasoning test similar to the 11+? I am trying to get my head round how the format is esp non verbal when its not multiple choice. I have scoured for sample papers but couldnt find any.

The other school has a general paper. I asked them if it was current affairs and they said no its just about responding to various questions to see how the girls think and not what they know. I am just trying to get a bit more insight if anyone's DC has done something similar or if you have seen any sample papers that I could look at.
Impossible is Nothing.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The general papers I have seen have asked a multitude of questions but they are mainly English based. One was a difficult limirick with the last word in each sentence missing and a list of words below to fill in. Another was creating a new language so anytime they saw a word with EA together they changed it to an F unless it ended in an N or F and then you changed it to an X. Then they had to right a short story in this new language or decipher a paragraph written in this language. There were code and science questions but none that required previous knowledge just lateral thinking. Sorry if that sounds vague and I would add that this was 13+ scholarship level.
moved

Post by moved »

My son had 60 VR and NVR questions to do in 10 mins each. No time to think at all.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Were they similar to the 11+ Moved?. I thought about 30 sec a question was bad but heck thats more like 10sec.
Impossible is Nothing.
moved

Post by moved »

Sorry it was DS, all I got out of him was "It was fine."