Race Day Outfit??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chardom

Race Day Outfit??

Post by chardom »

Am off to York races in July and haven't a clue what to wear. We are in the premier county stand which means formal dress but want to be reasonably comfortable all day and will not be able to stand in 5inch heels! :lol: Any suggestions?
KB

Post by KB »

Apparently 'maxi' dresses are 'in vogue' & would allow for more comfy shoes (could always take a pair of 'pumps' in handbag). If worn with a smart jacket it could be 'formal' enough?

There was an article in a magazine at the hairdresser's about maxi dresses to suit all shapes & sizes but I'm sorry I have no idea what the magazine was! Some of the models were dressed for a wedding though. Never been to a 'race day' but imagine its a similar level of formality - maybe?

Hopefully someone rather more knowledgeable will be along soon :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Peep toed flat shoes would be good, and don't forget your hat!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

From the York racecourse website:
What should guests wear?

Racegoers at York like to make it a special occasion and choose to dress accordingly. Hospitality badges grant you access to the County Stand.

Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket, collared shirt & tie in County Stand. Most gentlemen would chose to wear smart trousers and formal shoes to complete the look. So whilst there is no formal restriction on wearing jeans and trainers, these are rarely seen in the County stand. Ladies are required to dress in a suitable manner, many ladies opt for a hat, although it is not compulsory. Imagine you are going to a smart wedding is our tip.
This pic was on Google Images for fashion at York racecourse:

Found another one here, but can't get the link to work, so posted the URL instead.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... s%3Disch:1

HTH

S-A
doodles

Post by doodles »

Can get some really nice kitten heels that are quite low - look very elegant though - thought I saw some nice ones in M...&S..... Or wedges are always comfortable even quite high ones.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We went to Ascot last week. It wasn't Royal Ascot but a family day with lots of childrens activities as well as the racing. I was surprised how smartly dressed everyone was, even in the ordernary grandstand areas. The website said there was no formal dress code in this area but lots of people were smartly dressed, even the children.

Most ladies were in sumemr dress or outfits suitable for a wedding. Men wore shirts with alot wearing suits and ties.

We had a fab day and would go again. I even won £9!!
chardom

Post by chardom »

Crikey, Sally-Anne that picture has scared me witless!!! :shock: Never thought about wearing a hat though I quite like those little feathery fascinator things. Thanks for your suggestions I will def look into them and I like the idea of a 'cover everything' maxi dress and flat shoes. I will let you know what I end up with. :)