County Nicknames???

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

County Nicknames???

Post by Sally-Anne »

Florida is "The Sunshine State", New York "The Empire State" and Hawaii "The Aloha State. The Americans have been giving their states nicknames for decades.

They have lived and learned from the experience too. According to Wikipedia, Illinois thought better of being "The Sucker State", while North Carolina realised that "The Turpentine State" left a nasty smell.

I have just crossed "the county line" between Bucks and Herts, which alerted me to a new county sign:

"Hertfordshire: The County of Opportunity"

Oh for goodness sake ... :roll:

Perhaps every other county now has such a devastatingly singular and powerful motto, but I have just not been sufficiently privileged to be made aware of them? Or is this a first?

I would like to propose that Bucks should follow the trend and adopt a new nickname:

"Buckinghamshire: Pothole Paradise"

More suggestions for nicknames for counties would be most welcome to alleviate the tedium of the summer lull here.
Bewildered

Re: County Nicknames???

Post by Bewildered »

Sally-Anne wrote:
I would like to propose that Bucks should follow the trend and adopt a new nickname:

"Buckinghamshire: Pothole Paradise"

:lol:

I've heard that they're pretty bad around there!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Here in Kent the debate is whether you are a Man/Maid of Kent or a Kentish Man/Maid. It all depends on which side of the River Medway you were born.

Anyone born West of the River Medway is a Kentish Man anyone born East of the River Medway is a Man of Kent.

Don't know what the County's nickname is though apart from The Garden of England which although traditional is a little boring :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Warwickshire, Shakespeare's county is written on the county signs (or something like that anyway).

EDIT: just realised you wanted something funny...
Um... :roll:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Based on a well known advert for a chocolate bar:

Yorkshire, it's not for wimps! :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Potholes! You aint been to Gloucestershire! :x
chad

Post by chad »

Berkshire...Is it a bird?, is it a plane?....Yep, its a plane!!!!!!!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Potholes! You aint been to Gloucestershire! :x
I don't say this often, but 'I agree with Tipsy'. (It got a laugh for your man on The Debate, Tips), but I reckon

Gloucestershire - roadwork capital of the UK

would be slightly more accurate. I think Cheltenham must be the only town (?) where they dig up one road, and then they dig up the one you would have gone down if the first one wasn't dug up. They never re-phase the traffic lights to accommodate all that extra traffic...and the roads are still just as bad when the 'work' is finished.

And the M5! The M5...when my youngest was about 2 he thought the name of cones was 'roadworks' because all you ever see of roadworks on the eternal stretch between Gloucester and Stroud is the flipping cones - never an actual worker in sight.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

chad wrote:Berkshire...Is it a bird?, is it a plane?....Yep, its a plane!!!!!!!!
That was the best reason I ever found for not moving to Berks when we found we had to live somewhere around Bucks/Berks.

I once lived in Richmond for 6 months, and Concorde going over at 5.30 every morning was intolerable.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes we have had our fair share of cones and covered traffic lights at major roundabouts followed by temporary traffic lights that are on a 20 minute delay! :roll:

I don't know how anyone copes with the school run in Glos. DS goes in extra early for choir practice so roads are fairly good although there is always one driver who has clearly got plenty time on their hands and therefore drives at a leisurely pace! :x