Sport Lingo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Sport Lingo

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Can someone explain to a Scot who knows nothing of Cricket what age group the Colts are in at primary school? On the calendar tomorrow it says U9, Colts and 1st X1 etc...All gobbildy gook to me. Unfortunately I cannot ask DS as he has insisted :roll: on boarding tonight!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No specific age usually a junior team I think - maybe in this case the equivalent of the seconds
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

There has to be a specific age though because Yr8 cannot play in the U11's for example in a football team against another school. Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant in terms of prep school teams.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

In football terms, U9 includes 8 year olds and 9 year old, and roughly equates to year 4.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Colts can be whatever the school deems it to be -

there are colts teams in Sri Lanka for adults and Colts teams everywhere for youngsters , the colts SECTION is usually 9-16 (unless you are in Yorkshire when it is full on beat the world from the age 7).
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This is confusing! :cry: So given there is a 1st/2nd/3rd XI etc and U9 teams can anyone hazard a guess where the Colts might fit in? My son is Yr4 and 9 - could he still be in U9's? :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes the date for determining age is sept 1st so if he is still under 9 on sept 1st then he can play for the U9 until next sept even though he will probably be 9 during that year
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thank you - I don't need to work out Colts until next season then!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If he wa 9 since last september he can be in the under 9s. However he can also play for a higher age team - last season we cheered off an 11 yr old who took 3 wickets playing for u15s!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

hermanmunster wrote:If he wa 9 since last september he can be in the under 9s. However he can also play for a higher age team - last season we cheered off an 11 yr old who took 3 wickets playing for u15s!!
That will never be my son! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now