SATS BOYCOTT

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
EmeraldE

SATS BOYCOTT

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi all
I have just recieved a letter from my DS's school explaining that the SATs have been boycotted this year.

I must admit I am relieved, as is my tearful Y6'er (the pressure was getting to him that he would let everyone down, including his teacher). That kind of pressure on my sensitive little one is too much :lol: His teacher was fab with them and reassuring but for some kids the 'get that level 5' is just additional stress that they don't need.

I for one am pleased. Perhaps now he can relax and enjoy a revitalised curriculum, spend time with his friends while they are all still together and most importantly...be a child :)

I wonder how many other schools will follow suit?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I hear that 50 schools have decided to boycott SATS this year

GM
cairo

Post by cairo »

We've received a letter saying the school will NOT be boycotting the tests and they'll go ahead as planned in a couple of weeks.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Up here in Lancashire we got the same letter EE. My DD is gutted, she likes exams :roll:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I wish our school had boycotted them. All we have had is mock sat after mock sat :twisted: Even during the easter holidays they were given sat related work to complete, did I make Midget do it? Nope! Even more homework relating to it handed out this evening aswell! The thing is, for the past 5 months or so Midget has become bored and is not actually learning anything in school now because all work they are doing is purely for the SATS. I won't make him do work for it at home because what enjoyment will he get out of repetetive work? Instead we have been reading and enjpying his passion for ancient history at home, don't want his love of learning to dwindle any further because of all the sats work!
Milla

Post by Milla »

this year can't be as dull as last year in the English stakes, or Literacy or whatever nonsense they call it nowadays (as have alerted EE on facebook am in feisty mood for no apparent reason) - something to do with a trainer (yawn, trainers have no redeeming qualities and should be given to the dog to chew, pronto) and a market scene which, even I, little Miss Red Riding Hood with her basket bobbing round the farmers' market and then nearly slitting my wrists when I realise what I've paid for a tiny tub of pate, and a half dead "interesting" plant, baulk at.
Hector

Post by Hector »

My DD school has had them revising and going over things for homework for the whole of this year, but now they say they are going to boycott the tests. I for one, am very happy as DD not interested in school anymore( turned off by all the montonous repetion) :( She has been doing the work but grudgingly and I can see her being turned off maths/english for life!
Now at last they can do interesting stuff and enjoy the last few weeks of strong friendships, being the biggest, etc before heading into the exam world of the secondary. :wink:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

DS's school is going ahead. I'm very anti sats which have taken up an inordinate amount of class time, but he's spent the last two years working towards them and is looking forward to the end of sats party :roll:

Just saw this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 59374.html
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Son's school is going ahead and very relieved too, as he rightly said it would be totally unfair to just ditch them now after they have already done the prep.

I agree with SATs and dread a return to unregulated primaries where you could literally spend your final year copying poems off the blackboard or doing errands for the head. Pretty much how my last year was spent and it meant I was way behind the majority off other kids who started secondary school the same time as me.

If schools have had them revising since September then the fault lies with the school not the system. Ours didn't really start until after February half term and we have a lot to prove this year. SATs are certainly not perfect and league tables are an abomination but tests are something children should get used to and like anything the earlier you do the less of a big deal they become IMHO. I always enjoyed them it was the results that where the tricky bit :wink:
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

At my sons school they do not get off the hook completely. They are using their revision and going on to SLT's instead. Goodness knows how all that works (I know I was informed, but it kinda washed over me at the time...wonder what I was busy worrying about then>??) :lol:

I am sure there is no 'perfect solution' and part of me wonders what he would have got in his SATS. However, the head has taken a stand and raised his head above the parapet (brave indeed given the current climate!) and I support him in his endeavour for change. I do hope the system is sorted for next year when it is DS2's turn.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now