Netbooks

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Netbooks

Post by hermanmunster »

DDs school are offering netbooks to year 9. The parents will pay a contribution (not sure how much) and the pupil gets to keep the newtbook at the end of 3 years.

DD has her own laptop at home and I'm not sure that she needs a netbook to lug back and forth. Apparently nearly everyone does this .... not sure what happens to the kids whose parents decide not to do it?

anyone come across this elsewhere?
Meeting in May....
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sorry, could not resist...(we have some of these in our pond. They are endangered).

My kids were given a netbook for Christmas and do not rate it one bit. Then again, they are used to an Apple Mac, which as we all know is the very pinnacle of computer achievement. :wink:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have enough trouble seeing teh screen on this 12" laptop, i have no chance on a netbook...........
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

DS's allocated school actively encourage students to have them, and think they do a similar scheme where you can 'hire' them.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Yes, DS's allocated school have them from year 7. I think you are in the minority if you don't have one.

You pay so much a week but from what I've been told just say you can't afford it and you don't have to pay!

Have also heard kids spend most of the lessons emailing each other rather than working, what a surprise!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes I was tempted to say that having just bought her a new laptop I could not afford to pay for the netbook and see what happens..!!

From what I see, if the school feels that it is essential then they should provide them anyway - if you don't pay then hand it back at the end of the 3 years, otherwise pay and you can keep it.
Milla

Post by Milla »

this is interesting as very keen on a netbook myself and hadn't thought about small screen probs. Just vaguely fed up with having last dibs on computer and quite fancied the idea of a small (truly portable) machine with no bells and whistles beyond being a glorified typewriter (actively do NOT want internet connection as so tempting and ... ooops, there's an hour gone) but had only thought of it in terms of positives. Interesting to hear the negatives.
Anyone got any other thoughts on them (not hijacking, honest, since thread title is just netbooks, not Kids and Netbooks) had a Samsung in mind.
thanks.
will keep baby locked up so as not to enrage possible future answerers...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Mrs 1880 brought a work one home today, very neat - you'd get it in a large handbag (if it wasn't for the chunky standard size power unit!). Screen is a bit tiny for my poor old eyes though.

Mike
doodles

Post by doodles »

They look brilliant and was thinking about getting DH and me one to share so we don't have to fight DC's for laptop!

Screens do look a bit small but what worries me more is that keyboard maybe a bit small for DH's chunky fingers - does anybody have any experience?

Can you get them with internet connection? otherwise no good for us.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Have to say that I bought a netbook ostensibly for son going to college - loved it so much have had to get another - other son has one for school and I'm seriously getting another as mine is commandeered by dh/dc most of the time. Would recommend getting one with long battery life - Samsung is good.

I use it mainly for internet connection - use wireless router - thinking of getting pay as you go dongle from carphone warehouse so can use on train, etc