SATS preparation question

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

SATS preparation question

Post by pheasantchick »

Another quick SATs question.

Do people actively prepare their kids for SATs or let the school do it? I've done nothing and am now panicking.

(I'm definitely having one of those, I'm-too-fat, I'm doing-everything-wrong sort of days. ie. panicking!)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think this varies.
Partly on the parent.
Partly on whether the school that your child is moving to places any importance on the tests. This seems to be a moot point on this forum. Some school base their predictions of attainment at the end of KS3 on the KS2 results.

For those parents who know that it isn't going to affect their child at all then I would strongly suggest letting just the school worry about the preparation.

I hope this makes sense, I have rushed my response a bit.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I've just seen that your child is in year 5.
I would not be doing any preparation in year 5.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I let the school do it all...

a few weeks of 11+ prep put me off teaching my children for life!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

In year 5 my dd didnt do any out of school preparation for the SATS but we were working together on 11 plus stuff so i think that helps. And as to your other post, i sooo wouldnt worry about the tennis, it sounds like a great oppertunity for him and year 5 SATS are for the school to worry about :)
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Don't do any preparation. The primary schools my children attended didn't do any either for optional SATs. They were always held the same week as Y6 SATs. They are useful for the school as they can analyse the data and check children are making suitable progress.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I don't think you need to do preparation. I considered it recently then dismissed it as fretting/worrying others may be - crazy. If you read many of the sats posts on this site you'll get the impression most parents prepare for Sats - I think many do. But with all the school emphasis of yr 6 being on Sats I think it is needless to do more at home - most schools do papers so children are familar with them. Also if you overcoach and DCs are going to a school that sets for yr 7 your DC may struggle - unless you carry on and on coaching that is!
Milla

Post by Milla »

it's meant to show how the school has taught your child. Not how well you've filled in the gaps.
Admittedly, the schools mine have gone to / are going to do not refer to the SATS (I think...) but this is one area where I have surprised myself (!) by not busying in, but by doing absolutely nothing at all with them. Up to them, and the school.
Amber

Post by Amber »

There is absolutely no way I have done or would do anything to prepare any of my DC for SATS, which were originally designed to show how well a school was doing, not the children individually. Once the child leaves Year 6 these things are rarely used; it is of no consequence to your child how well or badly he or she does. Our school did suggest that if we wanted to support our children we could use the Woodlands junior website (which IS great - nothing against it).
Let's just say that 'we' did not want to support our children in this way and would rather they were out playing. Far more valuable.

(As ever, a moderate and ambivalent response from me!)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Milla wrote:it's meant to show how the school has taught your child. Not how well you've filled in the gaps.
Precisely!
Milla wrote:Admittedly, the schools mine have gone to / are going to do not refer to the SATS (I think...) but this is one area where I have surprised myself (!) by not busying in, but by doing absolutely nothing at all with them. Up to them, and the school.
Me too...and now mine isn't doing them anyway!!!!!!WOOHOO!!!!!
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now