Appeal heard today

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hellybeds

Appeal heard today

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi, thought I would share my experience from my appeal, all quite bizarre. Having undergone a review, I thought I had to prove today why I thought the review was unfair. The rep from the council clearly had the wrong information and said on two occasions that the review could not be "100% foolproof". On the front foot, I asked around half a dozen questions about the review process at which point a member of the panel informed me that I was coming across as "critical". When I said that I was questioning the consistency of the review process, the clerk, and the chair of the panel told me that I had to take this up with the council direct and it was not within their "jurisdiction" to pass judgement on this: the panel were there to assess whether my DD was suitable for a grammar school place. From this point on, we had an informal chat about my DD's ability, taking into account the evidence I had provided etc. I managed to get my views across and felt that I was given a fair shot. I am fighting a losing battle as the school is fully subscribed and I remain unclear about where I stand in respect of the review and appeals process. I was given plenty of ammunition in respect of the lack of consistency with the review process and the council rep was ill-informed and admitted that the review process could not be 100% foolproof.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That's very helpful, Hellybeds.

Ultimately it's up to the admission authority whether or not they wish to argue that the review was fair, consistent and objective.

Good to know that Medway now appear not to be seeking to apply this section of the Appeals Code.

For anyone not familiar with reviews, the problem is discussed in the Q&As here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b18

If an authority intends to argue that the review was fair, consistent and objective, I would expect this to be stated in the case papers.
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I heard today of a child who also had a failed reveiw but has been accepted by a medway grammar as they deemed the reveiw not to be fair and consistant and that the child was of grammar school ability.
please keep us posted, good luck :)
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Many thanks.

I am still puzzled by it all, as at no point was the review mentioned, going against everything we have been told.

We were also informed by the clerk that there were no successful reviews, which again we know to be wrong, as our DD friend was successful.

We have come away not having a clue as to whether we just had an appeal or that we were trying to establish that the review was unfair.

We also asked questions with regard to the appeal ie quota, time spent on each child and consistency and was again met with silence.

We were also informed that out of the 175 places, 173 have been filled by children that initially passed the test and that the remaining two will be filled by a SEN and an adoption case.

So common sense tells us that we really have no chance.
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Many thanks.

I am still puzzled by it all, as at no point was the review mentioned, going against everything we have been told.

We were also informed by the clerk that there were no successful reviews, which again we know to be wrong, as our DD friend was successful.

We have come away not having a clue as to whether we just had an appeal or that we were trying to establish that the review was unfair.

We also asked questions with regard to the appeal ie quota, time spent on each child and consistency and was again met with silence.

We were also informed that out of the 175 places, 173 have been filled by children that initially passed the test and that the remaining two will be filled by a SEN and an adoption case.

So common sense tells us that we really have no chance.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hellybeds wrote: We were also informed by the clerk that there were no successful reviews, which again we know to be wrong, as our DD friend was successful.
Your appeal sounds very strange - i too know of a dc at my dd's school who had a sucessful reveiw straight after the 11 plus. Are you appeaing to any other schools in the medway?
:)
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi,

No this is the only one as the school DD has been allocated is still very good, but we just feel that she would be better suited to this one, purely as it's mixed and right on our doorstep.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Very strange, am sure you were totally thrown by this turn of events!!!!

Good luck with the outcome. Time for a wind down now and accept there is nothing more we can do 8)
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Yes, we really were.

As you say, it is in the lap of the gods now.

Good luck to you and hope you have a positive outcome. :D
PJ

Post by PJ »

Hellybeds wrote:
Fingers crossed that it will turn out ok for you! The Code seems quite clear in terms of critera so I would guess that (however they responded) they have to judge your presentation clearly. Could you clarify when you asked the questions - was it in the panel meeting of afterwards?

If its any comfort I recently went to a panel review for a work project - we went in and the panel were really talkative, warm, and receptive. We left with the feeling that we had the project 'in the bag'. Some colleagues went for the same review and came out scratching their heads convinced that they had failed. They reported that the panel members hadn't given their names, refused to address the team members directly and written down the questions for the team and passed them to the Chair to read.

We didn't get the project and our colleagues did!

So you can never tell :)