11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ashly

Bad children

Post by Ashly »

I have a :twisted: child who lacks motivation :oops:
hoopjumper

Post by hoopjumper »

and........ ?

We 'solved' what I think you mean by finding out what our daughter wanted and helping her... we also had a hard look at ourselves and changed our 'badness'

But I probably don't know what you mean :?:

motivation

Post by guest »

I must apologise. 'Ashly' is not an anxious parent coaching a child at home (that's me!). He's an extremely competent (when in the mood) 10 year old exercising his 'intelligent’ wit.

I thought leaving him alone for few minutes to view the site was a safe thing to do. Sorry. He is certainly not a ‘bad’ child for lacking motivation , at times, or anything else - including posting a message without my permission!

His first test is quite soon and I’m a tad anxious. Why? Well, he is reluctant to check his answers or whether he has read/answered the questions completely. I constantly remind him to do so. 8/10 times he would have got the question right first time!

Perhaps I should stop flapping. He’s just turned 10 and copes well with 11+ material and Bond Assessment tests – the most challenging I think.

Furthermore, I should keep in mind that it is his dream that I’m striving to fulfil and not necessarily my own – a tricky and often avoided issue with many parents I think.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

Post by Guest »

My son has just finished selection process for 11+ and we're waiting for results. In common with most other 10 year-old-boys, he often doesn't check his answers, makes silly mistakes, doesn't read the question. It might reassure you that in my experience most 10/11 year-old boys (not girls) do the same. If he's competing against other boys this might ease your concerns a little.

Post by Guest »

Thank you. I am somewhat reassured yet still a little anxious – natural I guess.

Good luck with the results.

Re: Bad children

Post by Guest »

Ashly wrote:I have a :twisted: child who lacks motivation :oops:
Who is the Child :shock:

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure what you mean by "who is the child", but I would refer you to the 3rd posting. I think this explains things a little.
Blame

Post by Blame »

It may be too late, but if there is still time try bribery. Give Ashley a test with say £1 reward for each point over his normal result. Afterwards you go through and show him where he lost out. Then after he has recovered you give him another test. Same reward.

Post by Guest »

No, it’s not too late. You have a point; “bribery” although I prefer to say “incentives” does work. The novelty of little gifts/treats tends to wear off very quickly though. We’ve had a little study break to recharge both our batteries. I will give £££ a try when we resume. I think it might just work. Many thanks!