Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumontheverge

Appeals

Post by mumontheverge »

This might be a stupid question...but are you only allowed to appeal to one school or can you appeal to more than one??
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

You can appeal to more than one
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I have just noticed that you are in Gloucs. You can appeal to more than one in Kent and I assume the position is the same across the country. Hopefully someone in your area will come along soon and confirm either way,
mumontheverge

Post by mumontheverge »

Thanks!
capers123

Re: Appeals

Post by capers123 »

mumontheverge wrote:This might be a stupid question...but are you only allowed to appeal to one school or can you appeal to more than one??
You can appeal to as many schools as you like, and they don't even have to be ones you put on the application form.

Each Appeal Panel is separate, although the Clerk could (but probably isn't) be the same. In extreme circumstances (a panel member getting 'flu the morning of the first appeal), another panel member may get substituted, and there's a very small chance they may have been on another panel (that happened last year, for those reasons). However, in these circumstances, they will not mention to the other panelists any evidence mentioned in the first appeal.

The evidence you produce to each individual panel may be exactly the same (with school names changed) or totally different. It makes no difference.

Also, an appeal having been won for one school will not affect the outcome of another appeal, as they will not even know that you've done another appeal; even then, just because you've won one that happened to be heard first, it doesn't mean that it's the one you wanted most.

One thing I would ask: If you do launch more than one appeal, and you win the first one before the second set of appeals have finished - AND you wish to accept the place you've won, PLEASE withdraw the second (or third) appeal.

Why? Well, if we're looking at oversubscription at a school, we may decide that of all the appeals that should be allowed, the school could fit in 4 more pupils without prejudice. If you then get offered one of these, and don't take it up, that place will NOT be offered to the next down the list - there is no 'appeals waiting list'. That place would just be unfilled and a child who should have won an appeal will not get a place.
Capers
mumontheverge

Post by mumontheverge »

Thank you very much for really useful information - I'm so glad I discovered this forum!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now