Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nicemum

Choosing schools problems - Anyone

Post by nicemum »

DC has SEN - statemented.
Options

1 - sit 11+ - good grammar sch

2. Fail 11+ - local school with failing results for the past 4 years and a catholic school but we are not catholics so go to the bottom in the criteria.

3 . Oversubscribed school with ASD unit about 2.8 miles away - admission criteria is a) children in care, b) siblings, c) distance. so even with SEN cant get in as too far away - school prioritises the degree of disability of each achild applicant and takes 15 places each year - so a struggle to get in.
only option to get in here is to move less than a mile from the school and even then the LEA says no guarantee of entry - looks like a huge fight ahead for us.

4. move and then fight for a place.

5. go private - cannot afford.

What do i do. Annual review with LEA and SENCO will be in the autumn term - as DC is a new statement - need to know before then what to do.
:cry: very worried mum.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

could you go and visit the schools?

talk to senco at your present school, they my be able to get more info for you, ask class teacher what chances at 11+ are like

involve partnership with parents , who will be ble to give you some advice.

does your child have clinical psychologist or speech and language therapist involved involved? the ones in this area were a great help in choosing the best place ( and helping with the transfer process)

Just a few random thoughts in no particular order
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

How do you feel about your DC doing the 11+? How is his current perfomance? If there is a remote chance you think he/she may pass then why not go for it as you'll always wonder what would have happened. Did you try and find out how oversubscrbed the school you have in mind may be and how far they took kids from this year? That may help you to decide if moving is worth it or not.

Also remember most schools in Kent arent superselectives so your DC may need at least 55% to pass but obviously that depends where you live.
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Agree with Sherry - find out more admissions data year by year for the school with the ASD unit, study the admissions policy very carefully, and then if you want certainty about this school is what will make you feel at ease do whatever puts you really high up the policy and certain of a place (OK you can't put your child into care or adopt an older sibling but I'm sure the school is not full of children in care and siblings)
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

Yes, a remote chance that DC could pass the 11+ - so he will sit it regardles - no what might happen. However it looks like moving next to the school is the only option - so we get in via - the SEN route or the distance criteria.
The SEN route does not guarantee entry - why do we have to struggle to get this for our kids.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

So very likely - that a move to within a mile of the school is the only hope. I wonder how soon that move have to made. My LEA does not mention time - i guess likely when the annual review is done - Autumn term. Wonder if i dont move until Jan following year - too late then ?
mystery

Post by mystery »

You need to double and triple check this one so that you don't move for nothing! It should be written down somewhere, and it probably also depends what status the school is (community, foundation, VA etc)

E-mail LEA admissions for a response, comb the admissions booklet carefully for what that says, and ask the school too, and check the school's full and agreed admissions policy. If it's a VA school in charge of its own admissions, then you could also double-check with the Governing Body.

You could also ask all these people if they are planning to change to the policy for the year your son will enter. It would be a shame if you moved and they change the admission policy to one of those lottery things!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Nicemum, have you spoken to Head/Senco at current school? What do they recommend? Is it possible to speak to preferred school admissions at all?

Really would look at all the options very hard before moving especially if not then guaranteed place.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

yes, i have spoken to the SENCO at current school and this school -same situation - no guarantee on entry as it depends on the degree of disability of all SEN kids who have applied and if oversubscribed in relation to SEN- they will prioritise. Parent partnership (we might have to appeal they said - if we dont get the school)
crazydaisy

Post by crazydaisy »

just a thought - but Beths Grammar in Bexley (all boys) has a very good Aspergers unit? And if your child has a statement and passes the selection test (easier than Bromley superselectives, IMHO) then the distance may not be a problem. Agree with the other posts, get as much advice as possible.. Good luck! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now