Ewell Castle

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alphamum

Ewell Castle

Post by Alphamum »

Hi, anyone have experience with Ewell Castle or any knowledge to share? I heard the school does not have the standard of Whitgift/Trinity but are there any positive things you know about the school? Most of all, is the standard just average? The last I want is to pay for DS to go to a very average school. Please can someone tell me more. Thanks. :shock:
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi Aphamum,
I haven't been to see Ewell Castle myself but I know a couple of boys there and I know parents who have visited it recently.

The ability band is definitely lower than Whitgift/Trinity but Ewell Castle sells itself on having smaller class sizes than those schools (they say classes are about 16). Sport is pretty big and, apparently, the grounds are beautiful.

A friend who visited recently said that the school looked tired and a bit run-down but that they are about to build some new stuff (can't remember the details - sorry!! :? ).

The boys I know there are happy - it seems like a good school for a less academic child with sporty tendencies. By less academic I don't mean low ability or anything - I just mean a child in the tier below the high fliers!! :D

Hope this helps! :)
Alphamum

Post by Alphamum »

Hi Lazy Daisy, thanks for your reply. I'm just bit puzzled why Ewell Castle is not often mentioned in such forums or words of mouth but quite often I hear about Whitgift or Trinity. DS is not sporty but slightly above average and might benefit from the small class. Thanks for your info, that really helps. 8)
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Grandson went there some years ago. My son & DinL removed him after a year. He then fortunately got a place at Glyn, which he loved & is now at University. Academically EC was about the same level as Glyn (all - boys' comp) but with smaller classes. PM me if you want to know more.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I have several friends with boys at Ewell Castle and they are happy with it, but it is a very different school to Whitgift and Trinity. It has good sport and facilities with small class sizes. Academically it is very different from Whitgift/Trinity catering for a more average child. I think it then nurtures those children and will help them gain their full potential in their exams.

It is not for everybody but ideal for the less academic child. As it is a smaller school there is less flexibility in some of the subjects e.g. languages

Like all schools it is important to look at it as you will get different opinions
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now