Independent School or State Grammers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JM

Independent School or State Grammers

Post by JM »

My Son got through (Independent - Merchant Taylor's Northwood) and Langley Grammer Slough. We have not heard from QE yet....

I am not able to decide which one will give him better opportunities?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A friend who faced the same dilemma (different schools) last year says that in the final event she sat in a comfortable chair, shut her eyes and tried to picture her child at each school in turn. The decision came to her remarkably quickly, or so she claims.

I think that may be the only way you will reach a conclusion, as no one knows your child like you.

How nice to have choices though, and such good quality ones.

Good luck with your decision making.

Sally-Anne
i-qah

Well done

Post by i-qah »

Firtstly congratulations JM and of course to your son - you must be so proud and pleased to get offers from MT & Langley Grammar.

My very humble advice would be to visit both places again, even if you don't have time to make appointments for a full tour. Some times just watching the boys/girls leaving the school can give you an impression to go on.

The other deciding factor may be mixed or single sex schools - and what your son and you feel comfortable with.

Also the distance to travel into school - if you live is Slough, it's quick a hike to Northwood, and their school runs don't stretch that far out - Gerrards Cross yes.

My son will be taking his 11+ later this year so we have the whole experience waiting for us yet. It is so daunting, but this forum has helped me so much already.

I did post a question on the Independent schools forum, and some advice on the MT exams in comparison to Grammar school. I would really be so grateful for your views & help please.

Well done again!