Practice materials

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

spooky69

Practice materials

Post by spooky69 »

Can anyone advise on the best practice materials for the 11+ taken in Kent (Sevenoaks area). Seen Bond and Letts so far - is there anything particularly recommended or will it not really make any difference what is used?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I was recommended the IEP series (available online) for Kent.
spooky69

Post by spooky69 »

Do you have a link?

I am particularly looking for stuff that can be taken on holiday so more likely to go for books or written tests, although online would be ok if it can be printed.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

-Bond 10mins tests NVR and Maths books
-IPS 11+ Daily Practice Test Maths and VR books

For practice papers Letts NFER is more like the Kent test as they are the ones who set the test. There are new NFER papers so that makes it 8 practice papers and with bond papers for maths I think thats more than enough.

For VR practice in addition to NFER you can try Susan J Daughtert 11+ VR reasoning papers but they include HIKNOS which arent in the Kent test.

For NVR there is IPS 10 NVR papers.

I think with the variety of 8 papers we now have NFER papers alone can do the job, the others would just be for occassional use and some are much harder like Bond Maths papers and Susan Daughtrey VR which helps them to prepare for a harder exams and get used to a variety of questions.

Edited to add - I notice you are looking at superselectives then in that case you do need the Bonds Maths and Susan Daughtery too.
Impossible is Nothing.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Sorry, IPS not IEP

removed by a moderator, advertising against forum rules.
moved

Post by moved »

I like the Tutors papers available from this site. There are 12 papers and pupils can use them as they are building up their skills. They also include all 21 types, but I think the extra types do occasionally occur on the Kent test (Yoyo is better informed for Kent).
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Spooky, same area as you, last summer we took Bond 10 minute tests on holiday (OK some may see it as overkill but each to their own) they are portable and doable - straight after breakfast in that "what shall we do today" half hour.

pm me as there is a shop local to us that I can recommend where I got all our practice stuff last summer.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Apologies - didn't mean to advertise but just respond to Spooky69's request. :cry:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Kent usually only does the 15 types, but once or twice some of the other 6, the HIKNOS ones crop up so I briefly cover those just in case.

As a break from practice papers , especially in holiday, don;t forget to relly hone mental maths especially tables,squares,primes and cubed numbers.

games like scrabble, boggle and upwords (especially if you allow a dictionary) for VR (and reading loads)

Jigsaw puzzles, spot the difference etc for NVR.