Advice/ Technique re NVR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

inspired2win

Advice/ Technique re NVR

Post by inspired2win »

Just wanted to know if anyone can advice. When DS is given NVR to do, on the first run gets low marks e.g 40/60.

When told to go over mistakes comes back with 56/60.

Appears DS knows answers but seems to get tricked into wrong ones at the first time with NVR.

Is there any way of avoiding this with NVR?/ Advice

Thanks
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Practice practice practice! :D
Sorry i cant be more helpful! But i did find the same with my dd, this happened less with practice. little and often.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Loads of practice.

also eliminate the wrong answers and then narrrow choice down to 2. It is easier to compare 2 than 5.
inspired2win

Advice/ Techqiue NVR

Post by inspired2win »

Thanks for the response.

Much apprecaited.

inspired2win
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

We are going through the exact thing here with NVR.

Yesterday we were revising and she had the paper and calling out the answers and got 2 wrong and yet she had got these wrong in the practice. Like everyone said more practice, with my DD she is now sprinting and finishes with about 20mins to go. She just wants to watch TV so I have told her if she keeps getting those mistakes she will stay in her room until the time is up. :cry: Evil I know but it annoys me when she gets things wrong that she could have easily got right.

Have you picked a trend of the ones she is getting wrong? You may need to focus on those. I try not to do too many papers but use them so that I know the areas we need to focus more on and when I think we have progressed give her another paper.
Impossible is Nothing.
SSM

Post by SSM »

sherry_d wrote: Like everyone said more practice, with my DD she is now sprinting and finishes with about 20mins to go. She just wants to watch TV so I have told her if she keeps getting those mistakes she will stay in her room until the time is up. :cry: Evil I know but it annoys me when she gets things wrong that she could have easily got right.
Like Sherry said, he might just be rushing them in order to get on with something else, is he using all the time allowed for the paper?
mystery

Post by mystery »

It can be useful to work out actual percentage correct, and then the percentage correct that it could have been without silly mistakes, and plot trends in both results over time. Get child himself / herself to do this, as it is good maths exercise too, and gets them more interested in the final result, beating personal best, improving accuracy etc.
inspired2win

Advice/ Techniqe re NVR

Post by inspired2win »

Thanks for responses. It sounds like many others face the same challenge.

Thanks for the advice.

inspired2win
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I love the idea about the graphs Mystery. We often compare the 1st mark and the mark without silly mistakes, but having a pictorial representation and improvement (or otherwise) over time is an excellent idea..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now