11+ mark allowances for missing a year off school ill

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cancer Mum

11+ mark allowances for missing a year off school ill

Post by Cancer Mum »

Does anyone know if allowances can be made for a child sitting their 11+ who has missed alot of school because of illness? My child has leukaemia and has missed most of year 4 and 5 but is still sitting the 11+ next school term? Child has not gone back a year but has had the odd week here or there at school and a small amount of private tuition to keep up standards. A few practice papers have been done at home and scoring around 70 - 75% . Thankyou if anyone has any ideas about this.
MrsK40

Post by MrsK40 »

Hello - what a lot you are going through! I would definitely speak to the admissions team at any grammar schools you want to go to about your circumstances before you sit the 11+. I'm sure most schools would rather know in advance. I think every school has it's own policy on these things, so you would need to check with them. Very best of luck! :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Cancer Mum

I fear that what is likely to happen is that your child will take the 11+ in exactly the same way as other children and if s/he doesn't qualify the decision on a GS place will be left to an appeal panel to sort out, based on academic evidence and mitigating circumstances.

Do talk to the Admission authority to establish exactly what their rules are though. It is possible that there might be an allowance for extra time in certain circumstances, although that is usually reserved for defined special needs such as dylsexia.

Sally-Anne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi
What area are you in? Just think it may be easier for people to give advice if this in known. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - do let us know what area.. DS's friend was in the same boat and passed with no problem.

I think as Sally-Anne says it will be a case of taking the exam and then if necessary appealing with both academic evidence and the clear evidence of mitigating circumstances. The question a planel would have to answer is, does the academic evidence point to suitability for GS and do the mitigating circumstances explain the shortfall on the day.

On another point - don't let them do the test if they are unwell on the day - (may be tricky I realise) but if they start the exam it is assumed that they are OK to do it. If they are not well then best to go for the back up days.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Do you have a hospital education department outreach team where you are? Some areas do and some don't, but staff in there are usually very clued up on exam procedures for children with medical needs and know who to liaise with and what to say. I am assuming your child must have had tuition from somewhere when off school, and these people would be in a good position to advise you and also to help with an appeal if it came to that after the exam.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now