Assessment for year 4 child

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ManfromMissenden

Assessment for year 4 child

Post by ManfromMissenden »

Hi

My youngest child is in year 4 and, while bright, is much less advanced in literacy and numeracy at the same age than her sibling who just got through 11+ last October.

In trying to work out whether we should put her through lots of 11+ preparation work during year 5 it would be a big help if I could understand on a standardised/normalised basis what her performance level is today in VR type questions. Obviously at this stage 11+ test papers themselves would be much too difficult for her

Does anyone know of a resource I can buy to do this or failing that a tutor who offers this service?

Thanks for any thoughts
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

IPS publish a VR starter book which is appropriate for a Year 4 child. It is available from the bookshop on this site:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D8%23b87

That will give you some idea of whether she has natural aptitude or not.
ManfromMissenden

Thanks, looks like a useful practice start.

Do you know if this booklet contains enough data to convert a raw test score into a standardised score for her age/oeer group?.

Gauging her relative position is much more important to me now than a set of absolute test scores... if it looks like she has a mountain to climb i'd like to know up front before we put her through it all
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You cannot convert raw scores to standardised scores without having the appropriate standardisation tables. Those are created specifically for Bucks by GL Assessment each year, based on the equating tests taken by a sample of pupils after the real tests each year.

We do know that this year the pass mark was 71/80 for a September birthday, and that is the target you should be aiming for.

The IPS book contains something over two hundred questions, so it should give you a reasonable indication of her ability.
ManfromMissenden

Thank you, this was very helpful
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now