Year 5 Maths Homework Joke surely?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DarkEnergy

Year 5 Maths Homework Joke surely?

Post by DarkEnergy »

Year 5 nephew had a lovely maths homework.
"What is the smallest number that is divisible by each of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 and will leave a remainder of 1?"
DW solved it in a few minutes with a spreadsheet and I did it with logic. Solving it was easy, but surely this is not an easy homework for a year 5. I think it is a test of parents (and uncles and aunts :) ) if the child does the homework then you know parents do the homework for the child. What doi you thinK? Am I paranoid :?:
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

DD had several similar, only two/three variables, question in year 3. :shock:

I had to show her how to list the numbers in adjacent columns and "read across" to find the common answers.

I was surprised at the challenge and assumed it was rated EP. :D

Yep a test for parental support, sadly an early indicator of future success.

I'm sad for the kids without support. :cry:
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Bonkers!

Where is the educational value?
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Clue me in, what's the answer? I don't have a clue :oops:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

DarkEnergy wrote:Bonkers!

Where is the educational value?
actually investigations like this are really good.

manipulating figures, trial and error, trying to find trends..

I think there should be more emphasis on investigations in maths
katel

Post by katel »

It's not easy for a year 5, but I'm sure most of them could do it by extrapolation. I'm going to try it on my year 4 tomorrow evening and see what he makes of it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I will stick my neck out here and say I think this is a fantastic homework for a Year 5 in that it encourages problem solving and creative thinking - better than a boring old worksheet any day. On the rare occasions when my lot are given anything like this to do, they tackle it with much greater enthusiasm than the predictable worksheets. If it involves discussion with parents, then so much the better - that is how adults solve problems, after all - get as much input as you can from wherever you can get it, as it will help your own understanding.

My DS2 had a homework in Year 1 to find as many ways of making 20 with addition and subtraction as possible. He ran onto 4 sheets of totally unreadable A4, using negative numbers and really big numbers. We stopped him in the end when his light was still on at 11pm. I think this is far preferable to just a few adds and take aways on a printed sheet.
wonderwoman

Re:

Post by wonderwoman »

Amber wrote:I will stick my neck out here and say I think this is a fantastic homework for a Year 5 in that it encourages problem solving and creative thinking - better than a boring old worksheet any day.
Completely agree - proper homework for able and creative mathematicians.
DarkEnergy

Re: Re:

Post by DarkEnergy »

wonderwoman wrote:
Amber wrote:I will stick my neck out here and say I think this is a fantastic homework for a Year 5 in that it encourages problem solving and creative thinking - better than a boring old worksheet any day.
Completely agree - proper homework for able and creative mathematicians.
I agree too, if it is done by the DC. From what I have picked up, it was the parents that did it for most DCs.
DarkEnergy

Re: Year 5 Maths Homework Joke surely?

Post by DarkEnergy »

Just found out that of the 20 or so in the maths class, about 18 got the answer 2521
All kids said their parents did it. The maths teacher was even over heard talking to a colleague that he thought the parents had done it.

My solution was that one answer would be 10 factorial and then remove the numbers that have multiples within that, as they will over lap. eg, 2, 4, and 8. Leave in 8 and remove 2 and 4 as they overlap. Same for 3 and 6.
5 and 10 etc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now