How much would one sacrifice to put kids in Indie?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alphamum

How much would one sacrifice to put kids in Indie?

Post by Alphamum »

Hi, I am wondering to what extent would parents go through just to put their kids in Indie? We are talking about middle class/hard working earners here. Is it a case of sacrifising lifestyle, downgrading house/re-financing, selling off 2nd property, no luxury holidays, mum going back to work etc., etc....,

I wonder if anyone care to share what they themselves go through just to give their kids the best education. :shock:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

For me material things and assets come second to my kids education. At present I am considering indie for my DD but we are just some poor old souls. We may just be in the too rich for help, so I am going through the process quite open minded. I am going to apply for a bursary or try for a scholarship but I do think we may still need to pump up quite a bit too.

But this maybe down to cultural differences. Where I come from you pay for education and there is no free education like we have here so all parents make major scarifices like my parents did just for me to get a decent education. So I hope that explains why I really dont even think too hard about paying for my DD's even though we are really skint. One of schools I want is in the wealthier and most expensive part of my county and that may mean we squeeze into a shoebox from a cupboard we have now but that doesnt bother me in the slightest. To me its just doing whats got to be done.
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I sent kids to indie primary but then decided that there was good if not better education in the state sector ... if you move to the right places.

Parents make big sacrifices for their kids anyway, loss of income, university etc etc - it is really huge if you go for the senior indie.

I am a rather ancient parent and will hit retirement age while kids still at Uni - with the national pensions black hole any spare cash is going to fund university for the kids and a champagne lifestyle in retirement for me :wink:
katel

Post by katel »

Absolutely nothing. We have better things to do with our money!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

katel wrote:Absolutely nothing. We have better things to do with our money!
:lol: :lol: :lol: katel i m so glad! :D

Me - well i would just like some money to do anything with :lol:
zee

Post by zee »

It depends on the alternatives.

We sacrificed a decent house and nice holidays for many years to put DC through indie prep because we weren't in catchment for any decent primaries and didn't move soon enough.

We then planned ahead and moved to Bucks where they have excellent grammar schools.

However, that meant MUCH more money for an adequate house, so although we're no longer paying school fees, we're paying a larger mortgage - so we're no better off yet.

But we have no regrets.
Looking for help

Re:

Post by Looking for help »

tiredmum wrote:
katel wrote:Absolutely nothing. We have better things to do with our money!
:lol: :lol: :lol: katel i m so glad! :D

Me - well i would just like some money to do anything with :lol:

I'm with you guys here :lol:
rubyhettybetty

Re: How much would one sacrifice to put kids in Indie?

Post by rubyhettybetty »

LOL at mum going back to work and selling off that 2nd property :-]

Mum never had more than a few weeks off with each kiddie :(

Let's just say, granny had better not linger near the top of the stairs.....:-]

Daddy will be doing a lot of overtime and perhaps I will sell a kidney.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Our personal sacrifices-

A smaller house in a less prestigious area
A small unfashionable car

Our personal benefits-

Beyond measure
Amber

Post by Amber »

Without care and tact this is going to turn into another one of those polarised debates. All I will say is that you never know what you will or won't do until you are in a position where you know the happiness and health of one of your children depends on your actions. It is easy to be smug if you either have loads of money you can chuck at education; or equally if your child is fortunate enough to be thriving in a wonderful state institution. Any other set of circumstances and we are all likely to be scratching around for alternatives. So easy to judge, so easy to bring other people's children up.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now