Denmark Road Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rita

Denmark Road Appeals

Post by Rita »

Would be grateful for any info anyone has about appealing for DR this year, i.e are there any places, and has everyone with 210 or above got in ? Thanks. :?
capers123

Re: Denmark Road Appeals

Post by capers123 »

Rita wrote:Would be grateful for any info anyone has about appealing for DR this year, i.e are there any places, and has everyone with 210 or above got in ? Thanks. :?
I don't know - I only hear things by gossip if I'm not on a panel. However, there is nowadays normally a waiting list for Denmark Road. Why not 'phone the school - they're normally quite helpful.
Capers
naivemum

Post by naivemum »

Hi,

A dd in my ds's school got in on the second round with a mark of 210, if that helps.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thank you for your help. I have phoned the school and was told there is currently no waiting list, so I assume from that all 210 and above scorers have now been offered places.
Tessiebear

Post by Tessiebear »

Hi,
I'm being a bit dense this morning. :?

Does this mean all their places are filled as they have taken from 210 passes and there is no waiting list?

Or have they taken everyone who has passed and wanted to go there so no waiting list but there are still some unfilled places?

Any ideas anyone? :shock:

Also any idea of the position at Ribston as to how far down the marks they went and if any waiting list or any unfilled places?

Thanks for any help anyone :D
Rita

Post by Rita »

The school (DR) said there are places, but the lady I spoke to didn't know (or couldn't tell me) how many places or how many are appealing. :?
Tessiebear

Post by Tessiebear »

That's very interesting. I wonder if they are holding some places for the appeals.

What happens if they still have places left after the appeals? Do they go on to allow those slightly below the pass mark in, say 209 or 208 until the numbers are full or do they just start the Autumn term a few short? Capers can you enlighten us on this point please?

Any news on Ribston anyone?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Tessiebear wrote:That's very interesting. I wonder if they are holding some places for the appeals.

What happens if they still have places left after the appeals? Do they go on to allow those slightly below the pass mark in, say 209 or 208 until the numbers are full or do they just start the Autumn term a few short? Capers can you enlighten us on this point please?

Any news on Ribston anyone?
Appeals and waiting lists are totally separate, and likewise, the waiting list can not include any children who did not pass the test. Therefore if there are still spaces to fill at the school, there is no waiting list.

Schools are not allowed to 'hold places for the appeals'. They have to fill all places with children who have passed the test, starting with the highest scoring and working down to those who just scraped a pass.

They are also not allowed to offer places to those who did not pass - it's either pass and get a place, or not pass and don't get a place. The pass mark is not variable.

Some schools may end up with lots of unfilled places (this has happened at Ribston for the last couple of years) because not enough children passed. The only way to get one of these places is to convince the panel that there was a good reason your child didn't pass, and that they would not struggle in a grammar environment. It may be, however, that if there are loads of spare places, as opposed to the school being oversubscribes and trying to get a place over the PAN/IAN, that the panel might be slightly easier to convince. But they still would not allow an 'average' child in who would struggle!
Capers
Tessiebear

Post by Tessiebear »

Thanks Capers, yet again, for helping out so quickly on that point from your extensive knowledge of the system. :D
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I find this really hard to get my head round! I get the impression that every year there is a long waiting list of girls wanting Stroud High, all of whom have reached the pass mark. How do Denmark Road and Ribston Hall end up with spare places? Is it just a location thing, and girls from Stroud are not prepared to travel to Glos? Do some families from Stroud not even look at the Glos. Grammar Schools, assuming their child will get Stroud High, and then when they don't it's too late? I confess we nearly didn't look at Denmark Road because of the distance, but having seen it DD has put it top of her list.

It can't be because fewer children sitting the exams at the Glos. schools reach the pass mark - and in fact because Gloucester is so much bigger I would imagine there would be more girls sitting the exam and reaching the pass mark. Or is it because girls taking the exam in Stroud are ticking the boxes for all the Grammar schools but girls sitting it in Glos are only ticking for the Glos grammars, so all the places are 'taken' by Stroud girls who mostly only want Stroud High?

I am intrigued by this. Can anyone enlighten me? :? Please?