practice papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loo1965

practice papers

Post by loo1965 »

My son will be taking the 11+ next September - so a while away yet but just wanted to ask a question. The practice papers/books etc - do new versions get published every year??? In other words practice papers from a few years ago - would they be appropriate.

I have learnt so much from this website - it seems a minefield - with MC/standard etc... I think i have worked out ( lincolnshire) he will do standard NVR and VR. We are hoping he will go to Kings in Grantham but i know a few children at our school didnt get in with scores over 225.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Loo
Alex

Re: practice papers

Post by Alex »

Welcome Loo,
The practice papers are not generally published new every year with fresh ones coming onto the market every now and again. Letts did publish a new set of the NfER type papers last year, still bearing the same type of cover. The previous ones had been around for years. Generally though if you have friends with old practice papers of the correct type for Lincolnshire who are willing to pass them on they will be perfectly OK.

You may have seen this link to an old thread where people have discussed the practice papers they have found usueful:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5540

Score order admissions schools in the west of the county had higher scores needed for admission this year than has previously been the case. It does vary from year to year. On March 1 this year it was a 229 cut off for King's and 235 for Carre's though there may have been some movement subsequently.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Thanks Alex,
May be a silly question but are we likely to know predictions for scores next year? Does it depend on how many register etc...?

Thanks Loo
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think it is probably impossible to predict what may happen! There are so many variables - number of boys taking the test, strength of the cohort, attractiveness or otherwise of alternative schools, etc ,etc. Every so often there are "blips" which no-one has been able to foresee - they tend to be localised. If you go to the open evening you may be able to collar someone who will tell you what they expect this coming year from how many have registered for the tests.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Thanks

Thought it might be 'unanswerable' :mrgreen:
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Before i go ahead and purchase some books etc... can i ask is it worthwhile/ better/good to also do multiple choice format even though he will be doing 'standard' if so what advantage does it give/not give.

I was looking at the AFN NVR but i notice they are multiple choice

Thanks
Loo :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

For NVR it really doesn't matter very much - you can just ignore the separate answer sheet and mark answers on the question sheet. In VR, at least when you are approaching the test, I think it is better to stick to the standard version as the technique is a bit different. In general MC versions of tests allow more time so if you do use them remember the timings of the real Lincolnshire tests (VR - 100 questions in 50 minutes; NVR 16-17 questions in 8 minutes).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now