Help with Bond NVR Practice Test

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RaineB

Help with Bond NVR Practice Test

Post by RaineB »

Hi

We've been working our way through the Bond 'How to do... 11+ Non Verbal Reasoning' book which has a practice test in the middle. There's one question in the test which we can't quite see why the answer is as given:

Section 2, Q3 has a series where the shape increases in number of sides and has a dot which is white, black or crossed alternating inside and outside of the shape. On the basis of this, we've got to it being either answer (a) or answer (d).

DC, OH and I all thought it was (d) but apparently not! :?

If anybody can explain the logic to this question, please help!
sherry_d

Re: Help with Bond NVR Practice Test

Post by sherry_d »

First I eliminated most quite quickly as it is clear is should have 6 sides.

I then worked out the small circle should be the one with a cross because thats how the sequence is (last shape has black dot so one before it should be crossed as the first one shows)

So that only leaves me with two possible answers A or D. I rule out D as that circle is supsended and not attached to the main shape. If you check the series all circles are attached to the shape. I can see the explanation for D in that it looks more like the other shapes but there really isnt any format that you can say those shapes are taking except just increasing by 1 side on the next shape.

Bit of a long winded answer but I hope you get what I am trying to say :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Section 2, Q3 has a series where the shape increases in number of sides and has a dot which is white, black or crossed alternating inside and outside of the shape. On the basis of this, we've got to it being either answer (a) or answer (d).
Could you give me a page number?

edit: Found it on the test paper.
Last edited by KS10 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

KS10 Its the pull out in the middle of the book.
Impossible is Nothing.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I understand everything you say, sherry_d, apart from the circle being attached. In mine, the 3rd shape does not have its circle attached.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ok, OH agrees with RaineB and family, whereas DS agrees with sherry_d. I have no idea! Is there really enough info to determine whether or not the circle should be touching the shape or not? The circles on the inside do both and we have just one shape that deals with a circle on the outside.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

KS10 wrote: Is there really enough info to determine whether or not the circle should be touching the shape or not?
Yes there is, all the other circles in the series are attached and D is detached.

To justify D as answer what would be the reason? It just looks like the other shapes but really those shapes are all over the place.
Impossible is Nothing.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I guess I'm confused because
where the circle is on the inside the circle touches the shape in one, but not the other two
there is just one shape with a circle on the outside and that is touching the shape.
My confusion would be cleared up by having another shape with a circle on the outside definitely touching the shape. Having sorted out my thoughts logically, I can justify A more than D, but it's not definite enough for me.
By the way, I'm looking at the series as opposed to the answers.
RaineB

Post by RaineB »

We also got to A and D on the basis of it being a six sided shape and the small circle being crossed and on the outside. I get the idea of the small circle being part of the shape now. We hadn't picked up on that idea before so it's one we'll have to remember. Thanks for the help. :)
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Can we please have some help with these questions from the Bond How To Pull-Out Practice Test:

Section 1 Question 4.

I would have thought it was A because the quadrilateral shape isn't joined to the base of a triangle as all the rest are.

Section 1 Question 10
Why not A? Isn't that also a 3D shape with two sides shaded?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now