New with questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Star2k

New with questions

Post by Star2k »

Hey there,

My daughter is in y5 and wants to go to Sutton Girls (she really wants to go). I know there is no specific pass rate but am unsure how much practice she would need before the exam. Last parent eve I was told she is currently at a level 5 (I assume that's a 5c??) for english and 4A for maths and science, she is also on the G&T at school for what that's worth. Her teacher said she would do very well in GS so I am not worried about it long term. She has done well with the few papers he had getting only 2-3 wrong each time but then we have only done 1 of each paper. Is she likely to need to achieve 100%? We haven't got the money for a tutor and I don't think she needs one but the biggest problem we have is the local schools suck, BIG time and that worries me greatly :( from where we live we do have a slim chance of getting into Plantsbrook but I wouldn't hold my breath other wise it's college high or now the Academy.

Any advice or help anyone can give me would be great

TIA
Clare and co xx
notthisyear

Re: New with questions

Post by notthisyear »

Hi
My daughter is currently at Sutton in year 7 she is amazingly happy there and I have to say I am very impressed with the way the teachers work hard to ensure the girls settle well.
You really need to get her working with her exam techniques and timing the maths is probably (in my opinion) the hardest as generally the questions in the exams are probably harder than anything they will do at primary school my daughter also had no tutoring we just brought loads of past papers and did a bit a couple of times a week then increased during the summer holidays.
Knowing the meaning of words is essential, spelling, opposites and similars of these words games that we played whilst in the car etc.
Things have changed I know since my daughter took the test as they now take it with the King Edwards test at the same time, Don't know where you live but King Eds Handsworth is also an excellent school (Both my boys go to Aston) if she is taking the Sutton test anyway you may as well go and look around Handsworth The Green Bus do loads of pick ups for it.
Good luck,
PS sorry Queen Mary in Walsall is also good like you say the alternatives around here are pretty dire so I know it is a bit more travelling but again I think the Green Bus goes there.
um

Re: New with questions

Post by um »

Good luck!
She sounds like a very bright kid.
The sticky on this forum gives some idea of the CEM exam format - that's what Sutton Girls will be doing from this year.
I would focus on these topics, and in the meantime encourage lots of reading. Every child has strengths and weaknesses, I would build on her strengths to take her forward and get her marks in the exam and give additional help with any weaknesses. My experience is that state schools - even if very good - will not cover all the Maths topics needed, and I found Bond How to do 11+ Maths helpful and the AE Maths tuition books were good as well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now