VR in Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

VR in Birmingham

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi everyone,

I am lost with the post posted by Sally –Anne in the VERBAL REASONING section, entitle 'Question types: Letters converted to numbers'
See http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=3&t=3740

What is all that about? I understand there are not standard across industry/country/authors...

So in VR, what should DS work on in preparation for the exams in Birmingham and Walsall: IPS? Bond Book? Something else?

Thanks for your advice!

Jane
KenR

Re: VR in Birmingham

Post by KenR »

Sally-Anne's post refer the Buckingham std NFER question types - these are not relevant for Birmingham KE or Sutton Grammars which use the Univ of Durham CEM to set the papers. For an idea of what is in the papers look at the stickys at the start of this section.

Some of the posts by fm give good advice on what to use to prepare for the Birmingham 11+ exam. Also look at the Warwickshire section which use similar (but not identical) papers
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks KenR, Glad I won't have to undestand all these codes!

I looked at the stickys at the start of the Birmingham section (thank you for all your hard work!!! Are you a tutor?), but I havent been able to locate a proper answer to my question about which book to use to work on VR.
Should I buy the bond books, or the AEtuition book by Stephen Curren, or anything else?

Thanks for any clarification on that matter!
um

Post by um »

Hello,

I'm making an assumption that you are going for the King Edward Foundation/Bishop Vesey/Sutton Girls/Queen Mary Walsall exams.
All of these, as Ken said, will now be using University of Durham exams and so will not be 'traditional' VR.

As far as I know, Handsworth Grammar is sticking to traditional VR as it always has done, as the main component of the paper.

The others will be essentially testing your child's general vocab and literacy more than whether they've been tutored in codes etc.

I would encourage your child to read widely, boost their vocab (free rice, AE vocab books and the cd on this site can help a bit with this), help them with spelling, talk about opposites and similars (antonyms/synonyms) and discuss books and passages to help with comprehension.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks Um!
Yes, I wish my DS to apply to the school you mentioned and normally also Handsworth boys as a back up, so we will still have to do the plunge into VR. :( But I have the feeling it should still help for the Durham exams

I am sorry, I can't understand what you mean with 'free rice'. Is it an expression or the title of a book?

On an another hand, I posted to you a pm today asking for the list of books you have in preparation of the 11+, but I am new to this forum and it seems you didn't receive this pm. I have no idea how this process works and where my message has gone... Oh dear!!! :cry:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am sorry, I can't understand what you mean with 'free rice'. Is it an expression or the title of a book?
it's a website, answer the definition of words correctly and earn grains of rice to be sent to third world.

www.freerice.com
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks!

Rather challenging, but it seems DS won't be the only one to have 'fun' with that! :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

JaneEyre wrote:Thanks!

Rather challenging, but it seems DS won't be the only one to have 'fun' with that! :)
it is extremely addictive!

a tip is to get the first few wrong purposely, it is used to set a level, so you can build up gradually.
um

Post by um »

Sorry for not being clear, JaneEyre. Was in a rush as usual!

Its only fair to say that I am not a total DIYer - I had support from a tutor, particularly in the last 3 months before the exam, and it was invaluable.

I have pm'd you regarding my recommended fiction Reading list which I'm happy to email to anyone who pm's me.

I've also been on the Stratford Grammar website today - they are also doing the CEM exam - and they have this nugget of info on VR:

Verbal reasoning involves the manipulation of verbal representations and the solving of verbally presented problems. Orthographic, syntactic and semantic abilities, as well as logic and other problem solving skills are needed in verbal reasoning. This component also tests the ability to make inferences as to the meaning within and between phrases, sentences and paragraphs- also referred to as comprehension.

(if anyone wishes to translate this into English, you're welcome)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

um wrote:anyone wishes to translate this into English, you're welcome)
It means:

You need to be able to use words and solve problems presented in words. You need to understand syntax and be able to spell and work out what things mean, and you'll need to use logic (and probably a few other skills that we can't put names to).

The second half of the paragraph basically repeats the bit about being able to work out what things mean.

There's really no excuse for it, I'm afraid, except that probably the person who pasted it in didn't know what it meant and was too embarrassed to ask the moron who wrote it, and the moron who wrote it probably felt they wouldn't be able to justify their fee if they said it in English.

I was once told (it was about presentation skills, but I've always found it good advice): speak Anglo-Saxon, not Latin. In other words, don't use two syllables where one will do.

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now