Year 8 Entry?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sp

Year 8 Entry?

Post by sp »

DD passed 11+ but as OOC she did not get a place, but placed on waiting lists. She is now in Yr 7 at Indie where she has settled well and doing fine.
Problem?- today letter arrives from 1st choice grammar asking if we are still interested in place. If so DD is to go and be re-tested for suitability for grammar. They say it's for them to sort out their waiting list but I just wonder if this is normal or are they suggesting there might be a place?
Can't get my head around the logistics of moving her at this stage and would welcome any advice or previous experience. Don't want to put her through testing if there is no chance but if she was offered a place then the saving of school fees would be helpful, to say the least.
hermanmunster

Re: Year 8 Entry?

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure what they are getting at - I reckon unlikely to be retesting if they haven't got a place to offer her, and it would be pretty unfair for them to say "well done" and leave her on the list ...
I would be tempted to give it a go (after pestering them a bit more...) .. as far as moving - if you are going to do it then the sooner the better. DS has children at his school who moved from Indies and Comps - they settled fin and after a year or so they forget who started when.
sp

Post by sp »

Thanks for your reply, think it's going to be a phone call to the school on Monday to find out a bit more. I am sure they can give an idea if any places are coming available.
Then the big problems start ie telling her what we want her to do! She knew nobody at her Indie and took a while to settle, but recently has been having a great time and meeting up with new friends. She is also doing well, maybe the smaller classes giving her the confidence to perform? This confidence could of course be carried on to another school, where she again knows nobody in her year.
All a bit unsettling to say the least, just got her happy and sorted and now this!!
Ha Ha almost feels as confusing as when we made our choices in the first place!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Does she know anybody at the GS that she could team up with? Do you know any mums there that you could chat too? I must say that not having to pay a further possible 6 years of fees would sway me somewhat especially of there were siblings following!! :?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Hi sp

If the school involved is TWGGS I might be able to introduce you to someone in her new class. My DD went with a number of girls from her primary so I know girls in every class. Incidentally DD has heard rumours that a girl in her class might be leaving (family going abroad) but TWGGS did go over PAN for the current Y7. Good luck anyway,
sp

Post by sp »

Said school is atually Weald of Kent, as previously mentioned it was 1st choice (TWGGS being off the agenda for OOC!!)
She knows a couple of older girls who she would travel with so that's something.
May be out of the question anyway if Weald say definitely no places but can't understand why they'd bother with the re-test if not a possibility?
Samba

Post by Samba »

Hi SP have sent you a PM
mystery

Post by mystery »

sp, have replied to this on your other thread in the appeals section. I would go for the test. Someone down our road went to Weald of Kent last year and will be starting Year 8 this September, and a relative goes there too and has always had a lot of friends. It sounds lovely, very friendly. There is also some movement at 16 between the West Kent grammar school sixth forms - the admissions criteria at 11 do not apply at that stage - it is to do with GCSE results instead. So if comparing outcomes between schools, look at what she might achieve at 16 in the independent versus what she could do at Weald of Kent by 16. I think some of the more able WOK girls move to Judd sixth form, which partly accounts for why their A level results do not look as good as one might expect. And also consider how the social and academic profile of your independent school might change over the next few hard years ahead.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Hi SP - we had a similar experience last year. My son didn't get through on a non-qualification appeal and went to a local indie for year 7, which took a bit of settling into, having come from the state system. But, by easter, he was happy and settled with plenty of friends. He was then offered a place at our 1st choice grammar for year 8. So, we had the same dilemma - the draw of no school fees was very strong (we did struggle with the cost!), but I liked the fact that he was in small classes, etc.

Economics meant that we were very much in favour of him changing schools, and therefore our discussions with him had a lot of positive 'spin', if you like. Not that it needed much, as it was his and our first choice originally. But, I think, even if he was not necessarily that receptive to the change, it would have been a case of 'we're paying the bills, and we're your parents - so we will make the ultimate choice!'

End story - he changed schools for year 8, and hasn't looked back. The grammar suits him far better academically than the indie ever did, and he's made great friends (he was in the lucky position of him knowing several of his classmates)

Not every change of school works like ours did. I think it was successful because their was massive parental support (driven by our own agenda, admittedly!) and also, because, as we had known all along, it was the right school for him.

Good luck with whatever you decide - your daughter is hopefully still young enough to be influenced by your positive vibes and support - so as long as you have a positive attitude with whatever decision you take, I am sure she will be fine.
sp

Post by sp »

I called the admissions lady at the grammar who has confirmed there are NO places for yr 8!
It is just their way of sorting out the waiting list. Seems a bit of an effort to go to but she has agreed that DD's name can stay on waiting list without this testing. I suggested that it would be more appropriate to test if and when a place becomes available and she was happy with that.
So, end of my dreaming on how to spend the money but never mind, DD is sooo happy at her school it would have been a huge decision to make. Almost grateful we don't have to go down that route now.

Thanks for advice any way.