Appeal Panel

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helpneeded!

Appeal Panel

Post by helpneeded! »

Just a query really, once appeal has taken place,can the appeal panel contact you and request more evidence from you, such as more school work evidence.
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appeal Panel

Post by Etienne »

Once the appeal is over, no.
Etienne
helpneeded!

Post by helpneeded! »

Interesting, i am appealing for my son and also is a friend of mine who is also appealing for the same school. We both had our appeal, still waiting for results, Few days after the appeal, she had a phone call from one the panel asking for some more school work evidence. I was just suprised at that!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It sounds highly improper for an individual panel member to contact an appellant!
Etienne
helpneeded!

Post by helpneeded! »

My friend knows the appeal panel member and has had contact with them previously regarding other business as they run a business,
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I know that it can't be avoided but isn't it rather unwise to have panel members who know the appellants personally?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

helpneeded! wrote:My friend knows the appeal panel member and has had contact with them previously regarding other business as they run a business,
hmm not very professional really
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think it would depend how well the two people know each other. I trust the panel member advised the clerk of this relationship .......

The relevant paragraph of the Code says:
1.15 When panel members receive their papers for the appeal, they must notify the clerk to the panel if they know, or have had a previous connection with, any of the parties to the appeal in a personal or business capacity, so that the appropriateness of their sitting on the panel can be considered. If the panel member only identifies a possible connection on the day of the hearing, the panel chair must ask all parties whether they are content for the appeal to continue. If any concerns are raised, where the panel has three members, the panel must convene a panel with different members .....
Etienne
helpneeded!

Post by helpneeded! »

regarding the panel member contacting my friend after the appeal and asking for further evidence, wouldn't that give unfair advantage to my friend? Or am i just thinking too much into it?!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid on the surface it looks very suspicious - a panel member who has a prior relationship with an appellant, and also contacts the same appellant privately after the hearing but before any decision is taken.

You could indeed be disadvantaged.

However, if it's as bad as it seems, I don't understand how it was meant to work in practice. If the panel member were to go back to the clerk and the rest of the panel saying "Look, there's some more evidence that supports appellant X," it rather begs the question "What are you doing acting as an intermediary on behalf of an appellant?"
Etienne