Advice needed!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
foxandsot

Advice needed!!

Post by foxandsot »

Hello all

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

I have a daughter in yr 4, she is achieving level 5 in English and Level 4 in Maths, she has also taken a CAT test earlier this year where she got a very high score (please don't ask me what it was as I have no idea what any of these scores mean!! :? ).

We think that these grades are pretty good and that she should try for one of the selective schools. The big problem is...our daughter wants to go to a mixed school where she knows some people!! We are in chessington and all the selective schools I can find semi-locally are girls schools and the local mixed secondary school is not particularly good. Although she is bright, she's also lazy and will coast if she is allowed too. We don't know what to do for the best, I want her to be happy at school. I know that there is no guarantee that she would get a place at the selective schools but think it a shame not to try. Are there any parents on here who have girls that go to Tiffin etc who had a similar problem. Did you manage to solve it or is there a fab mixed selective school out there that I don't know about!!

Thanks

M
whichwitch

Re: Advice needed!!

Post by whichwitch »

I don't think there are any mixed selective schools within reasonable travelling distance from Chessington. With those SAT levels in Yr 4 it would certainly be worth your while considering Tiffin Girls though. Your other options for a mixed school other than your local one (if its the one I'm thinking of) wouldbe Hollyfield or Grey Court. Grey Court might be a shlep from Chessington though. Both are mixed comprehensives but Hollyfield has a fast track scheme for the brightest students in the top sets and Grey Court has something similar. Not sure about Hollyfield but I do know that Grey Court has a testing day where children sit VR and NVR ( NFER) and the results from those along with their Yr6 SAT results are used for streaming purposes.
foxandsot

Post by foxandsot »

Hi

My daughters teacher did mention Hollyfield and their fast track. Does anyone here have a child there? I think that Grey Court would be a bit far for her.

I am working on our daughter and she's coming round to the idea of a girls school, there are 2 other girls in her class who will be applying for Tiffins. Also the fact that a school bus goes from Chessington to the school, so there must be a fair few girls from this area that go there. I've also looked at Nonsuch, looks like a good school but think it will be a nightmare for her to get too.

Another question! Is there any correlation between CAT results and the tests for selective schools? I got a copy of her results from her teacher today and the results she got were (SAS) Verbal 132, Quantative 120 and Non-verbal 113.

I can see this is going to be one long nightmare!! :roll: It was bad enough with primary school!

M
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Hi Foxandsot

I'm afraid that you are out of the catchment for Hollyfield - this year it was only 1.5km from the school, which doesn't even reach the A3. There were children on the Surbiton/Tolworth borders who didn't get in.

I'd suggest going and looking around Tiffin Girls' at the next open day (start of Y5 for your daughter) and see what you both think. If she likes it, she might decide it's worth trying for the test - and there is a school bus that goes from Chessington to TGS, so it's a possible journey.

Good luck!
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi Foxandsot,

The journey to nonsuch from Chessington is not that horrendous either. There is a school bus (808) that goes from Ewell village, so your DD would just have to get the 467 (or a lift!) into Ewell and then its a 10 min journey on the school bus each morning. You would also be in catchment from Chessington which makes it considerably easier for your DD to get in (she wouldn't have to get in top 80!)

Hope that helps. Open day is in July, so worth a look :D .
foxandsot

Post by foxandsot »

Thanks for the advice, really panicing now! The competition is so fierce and the fact that we live too far from the good non-selective schools. Unfortunately, although our daughter is bright she is also sooooo lazy! If she were to go to the local school, I don't think she will achieve too much, she needs to be pushed from all angles!!! Her teacher has even said that if she goes to the local school she will come out with average gcse's. I don't remember my parents having to go through this when I was younger!

Fingers crossed and once again thanks, I will take her for a look around the schools to see what she thinks.

M