Appeal paperwork

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fluffy66

Appeal paperwork

Post by Fluffy66 »

I'm a little confused...... i have been asked by one of the schools we are appealing to to send them all our information regarding the appeal before this Friday but the appeal is not for another month. The other schools appeals are staring around the 10th June but we have had no request for paperwork yet. Both schools are using Kent IAP. Anyone any idea why the difference?

The reason i'm asking is because we are waiting on one very crucial bit of evidence which is proving very difficult to obtain and i'm not sure it will be with us by then but very much impacts on our appeal letter. If we submit next week, bearing in mind its half term, what issues/problems may occur. I believed paperwork didn't need to be in until 2 weeks before.

Any info would be most appreciated

Fluffy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't know why they're doing this, but you'd certainly be within your rights to write back and tell them you'll submit all the information as soon as you're in a position to do so.

The Code of Practice states:
2.22 ... it may be necessary to adjourn the hearing if significant information is received less than three working days before the hearing .....
and
2.11 the admission authority must:
a) ask appellants to provide any documents, information and evidence they wish to submit to the panel to support their case, and explain that they may submit additional information any time up to the hearing but that, if they provide anything new too close to the hearing date which the panel thinks may be significant, the panel may need to adjourn to allow all parties the opportunity to consider it
The Clerk does not have to send out the case papers to everyone until at least seven working days before the hearing (not including the date of the hearing or of sending out the papers).

So long as you submit your case at least 14 working days before the hearing, you'll be safe, and as explained above, it might be possible to submit it even later.
Etienne
Fluffy66

Re: Appeal paperwork

Post by Fluffy66 »

Thanks for that Etienne.

That means the paperwork for the first appeal, starting on and after 10th June, should already be in? Is that right? Ooops! However we only know thats when they start because my DH called to enquire because of work commitments. We've been waiting 5 weeks for the HT letter and finally got it today. Its good but the wait has been terribly stressful with promise after promise of when it would be ready!

Fluffy
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Fluffy glad the HT letter has arrived. Good luck with getting all your paperwork submitted.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

My DH has rescheduled his day off to run around on Thursday delivering the paperwork. I though i was soooo organised and then it all happens at the last minute. Trouble is we still have to wait til possibly July for the final decision. No point complaining it is how it is and i can't change it :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That means the paperwork for the first appeal, starting on and after 10th June, should already be in?
I did wonder about that - take out half-term, and there didn't seem to be many working days left!

However, the absolute deadline (without risking an adjournment) appears to be three working days before the hearing.
Etienne
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

I have to call Kent in the morning because i don't know where to send the paperwork to for this appeal anyway (i do for the second one). We have had nothing requesting appeal details (for the first one) except a standard letter detailing the general timings of appeals and a leaflet which states we will be sent appeal papers before hand. Am i being dense :? have i missed something :? should i not have recieved something telling me to send them the info and where to send it (as for the second appeal).

I'm worried now but keep telling myself it will be whereever it needs to be by Thursday.

Oh well another sleepless night :( :D
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Well we had our appeal today and what a grilling but all very positive, no baddy :D We were in there 45 mins and then got to chat with the Deputy of the school on the way out.

I still feel a bit numb and letters aren't going out til early next week so we have a long wait. Looks like we will only find out days before our second and far more important appeal.
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Was thinking of you so glad it all went well! In what way do you mean a grilling? Did you work out if the appeal person was the governor? :)
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

They said our letter would be that long then we got it within 3 working days :shock:

Good luck, at least you know have a benchmark for the next appeal too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now