presentation for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Claire

presentation for appeal

Post by Claire »

I'm just trying to prepare my appeal for an 11 plus fail. I've covered ability and mitigating circumstances, should I also comment on why I feel the school is suited to my daughter other than the fact it is a grammar school? Thanks for your help
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Claire

You don't say which area of the country you are in, but I'm assuming Kent, as that is where most of the action is at present.

Here in Bucks the Appeal system is based entirely on proving a child's suitability for the grammar school system, rather than for a specific school. You need to check the rules and regs for your area, either with the Admissions team or on the relevant section of this forum. You could waste a lot of breath and energy by putting a case for a specific school when that information will just be discounted by an appeal panel.

If you post which area you are in we can offer you more help. (That is also a timely reminder to all posters on the forum - please, plase, tell us which area you are in!)

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If this is an appeal just against non-qualification, and assuming there would be a separate appeal if the school is over-subscribed, then you should focus only on academic evidence and extenuating circumstances for the time being.

If in doubt, ask the authority arranging the appeals. The situation with regard to some foundation schools can be confusing.
Etienne
john m

Post by john m »

This is really a message for Etienne.
I am in Lincolnshire and am about to submit an appeal on behalf of my daughter.I can understand your stance regarding the fact that the panel may well only consider academic evidence and extenuating circumstances, but is it worth debating the issue of suitability of the grammar school as opposed to the local sec mod? I have to say that should our appeal fail, then we will be taking her out of the state system- the state alternatives just will not be the place where she would wish to go.In terms of her academic development, we know that she would fair better at the grammar because of its particular curriculum strengths and its undoubted pastoral and social atmosphere.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear john m

Are you appealing for a foundation grammar school that handles its own appeals?
Etienne
john m

Post by john m »

no, this is for a voluntary controlled grammar
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In that case, I would normally expect your appeal to be against non-qualification only, to be followed by a separate appeal if the school is oversubscribed. However, you need to check this.

If you are appealing only against non-qualification, then academic evidence and extenuating circumstances are all that matter. Anything else would probably be irrelevant and dilute your case.

The time to present arguments for a particular school would usually be when your child has qualified (either via the 11+ or via an appeal) but the school is oversubscribed.

Regards
Etienne
Alex

Post by Alex »

Appeals for community and controlled Grammar schools in Lincolnshire will be 2 stage if the school is full, that is both against the failure to reach the required standard and then, if that bit succeeds, against the not having been given a place. It will all be heard at the same time.

The county guide actually splits the process in these cases into 4 parts:
1. Admission authority must make its case that the child does not have the required ability (done on the basis of the test results)
2. Discretion - this is where you present your alternative evidence of academic ability and mitigating circumstances
If you have succeeded in the above and the panel decides that the child has the required ability and aptitude, then
3. Admission authority must make its case that the school is full and that taking extra pupil(s) would cause prejudice (ie harm) or increase the prejudice if the school is already in a prejudiced situation.
4. Balancing the prejudice - this is where you present your evidence about why this is the best school for your child and why the alternative school offered is not suitable.

I believe that the school in question for you, John, is Bourne Grammar which is definitely full. You will need, therefore to submit evidence for both parts of the appeal, but bear in mind that the evidence about the suitability of the school in terms of ethos, curriculum etc will only be considered in the second part of the appeal, that is, if the appeal against non-qualification has succeeded.

The guide which the county produces is useful and the people at the County Secretary and Solicitor's Office and at the Admissions Appeals Team really do try to be helpful if you have any questions.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This is extremely useful for Lincs. appellants, Alex.

Will include in the Q&As, if you don't mind.

Kind regards
Etienne
john m

Post by john m »

many thanks to both etienne and alex for wise council.