How are the scores out of 140 calculated?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twilight

How are the scores out of 140 calculated?

Post by twilight »

Hi

I am new to these boards and would appreciate some help.

I believe (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that in Kent, kids take 4 tests - VR, NVR and Maths plus English to be used in the event of a borderline result. They VR, NVR & maths each have 50 questions, but the overall mark is shown out of 140 for each test. So, if for example they get 25 out of 50 does that mean that they score 70 out of 140?

I know that the pass mark varies year on year depending on the standard of entries, but assuming it is 120 this year does that mean that they would need to get at least 43 out of 50 questions correct on each test to achieve 120/140 and hopefully pass?

Apologies if this has been asked before - I am new to this and very confused!!!

Thanks.
dadofkent

Re: How are the scores out of 140 calculated?

Post by dadofkent »

twilight wrote:Hi

I am new to these boards and would appreciate some help.

I believe (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that in Kent, kids take 4 tests - VR, NVR and Maths plus English to be used in the event of a borderline result. They VR, NVR & maths each have 50 questions, but the overall mark is shown out of 140 for each test. So, if for example they get 25 out of 50 does that mean that they score 70 out of 140?

I know that the pass mark varies year on year depending on the standard of entries, but assuming it is 120 this year does that mean that they would need to get at least 43 out of 50 questions correct on each test to achieve 120/140 and hopefully pass?

Apologies if this has been asked before - I am new to this and very confused!!!

Thanks.
Put "140" and "standardisation" into the search facility and that should hopefully throw uo the answers you need.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

PS. go back at least to the "kent page" otherwise I think the system just searches this thread.
omg

Post by omg »

Check out the thread called "NFER% marks query" a few month back. I think this shoud help... :?
twilight

Post by twilight »

Thank you for all of the replies. It is all so complicated! Currently getting 75% plus on practice tests so I think if we can get that up to 80% on all 3 before September we're in with a good chance.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the best practice papers for the Kent test (for a Sittingbourne school)?

Thanks again.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I can recommend the GL assessment papers (previously NFER) and also I used Tuition For You (available to download from the e-papers page of this site). There are different schools of thought on using multiple choice/non multiple choice papers...in Kent they use multiple choice so its a good idea to practice with these however both my children used standard papers as well so I knew that they were not 'guessing' any answers.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

To achieve 120, a child with a September birthday would need to achieve the following raw scores for a pass

VR: 43 = 54%
NVR: 39 = 54%
Maths: 28 = 56%

The above were the scores for 2008 but they fluctauate slightly up and down. Its our friends in the West Kent superseletives who need around 80% to get a place. :shock:
Impossible is Nothing.
twilight

Post by twilight »

Thanks Sherry - Feel much better now.

My daughter was born in August so I'm guessing that if she stays on track with what she is doing she should be fine. How do you find out these figures? - Do you get given a raw score and a score out of 140 when the results come out?

I'm guessing that one of the West Kent schools is Judd? That seems to come up on every search that I do on here!!!! Think I'm glad I live in East Kent :D
SSM

Post by SSM »

KCC give you the standardised score (out of 140).

You don't get to find out the raw score unless you request it from KCC.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now