Teacher observation in last lesson of the year!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Teacher observation in last lesson of the year!

Post by ourmaminhavana »

My friend has just been told by her Head that he will be observing her last lesson of the year with an examination class who will have been off on study leave and just returned. She's unhappy about this as it seems ridiculous to choose this lesson, but how does she respond? I suggested saying he's of course very welcome but they're doing a quiz, joining with another group for an end of year celebration. Any other ideas?
KS10

Re: Teacher observation in last lesson of the year!

Post by KS10 »

Not really sure, tbh. I've never heard of this being done before. Is he unhappy with your friend?

edited: sorry, misread OP. I thought you meant the last day of term, but you meant her last lesson with them. :oops: I presume we're talking Year 10. I suppose it could happen if the observation has to be done before the end of the academic year.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, I presume the Head forgot and this is the last opportunity, but I don't see why he doesn't just wait until next term. I think she was last observed around October time so while they don't see eye to eye I don't think he's unhappy with her.
Last edited by ourmaminhavana on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

... or Year 12.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm not sure, possibly Year 10.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hopefully, others will share their experiences soon.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Some of our Year 9 teachers were observed last week. I know that's not really the same thing.
ews147

Post by ews147 »

It's usually very difficult to engage students at this time of the year,especially after exams, but with the head in the class , I'm sure they will toe the line!
If it's year 12 and they are moving onto yr13,I would do an interesting 'taster type'introduction lesson to the most interesting elements of the yr 13 course.For example, if someone was teaching law, they could use lots of newspaper articles illustrating different levels of murder (euthanasia, provocation induced, 'cold blooded' etc ,and ask pupils to discuss and evaluate the category of 'wickedness' etc.)This could lead into setting some independent study task for them to do over the holidays.
Or she could do as you suggest, a quiz covering topics taught in the year, followed by an evaluation of the course(pandering to the pupil 'voice' mantra). She could explain what she is intending to do, and then leave it at the head's 'discretion' about the 'box ticking' potential of observing such a lesson.
KB

Post by KB »

Assuming it is a class that is in the middle of GCSE or A level course (ie year 10 or year 12) perhaps the Head is trying to enforce a policy of working once the students come back from study leave?
At DCs school there has been clamp down in recent years to ensure the last few weeks of term are used wisely for year 12s to make a start on A2 work as the January modules come around so quickly.
Could your friend find out if other staff taking similar classes are also going to be observed?

Otherwise it could simply be that the Head needs to complete a certain number by the end of term & will simply be going through the motions?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks KB, yes I think it was a matter of fitting in an assessment to say that it had been done but it would have been hard as other classes are having parties etc. I was just about to post as I've received an email from my friend saying that the Head has said it would be more sensible to wait until next term which seems sensible and she's quite relieved. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now