Anyone used Tuition center for 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hmaq

Anyone used Tuition center for 11+

Post by hmaq »

I am wondering if anyone has used or experienced tuition centers to prepare their child for 11+ and how effective it was. This is because most people seem to prefer private tutors and it does not work for some children as they need the group challenge. Are tuition centers not very good for 11+? Is private tuition always better?

Please would you enlighten us with your experiences of tuition centers.

I have only found 1 in Cheam (you know what I mean, etcetera) recently that not only tutor children for normal primary school stuff but also prepares them for 11+. Perhaps you have experience of the place, please do share your experience.

Thanks
tiredmum

Re: Anyone used Tuition center for 11+

Post by tiredmum »

i am not in your area but my dd1 went to group lessons - about 8 to 10 in a group. It worked well for her as she enjoyed it and was generally a good all rounder but just needed the practice and the more advanced maths they dont teach at schools. If you dc has weaknesess then one to one would probably be better but if not then try the group session - its a cheaper option and my dd made friends there that ended up at the same grammar as her - she used to look forward to going. :)
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Thanks for your reply. There are a few weak areas but I just feel he does not like too much attention focused on him. He finds it easier to listen when he does not have to look directly at the person or they directly at him and when pressure is spread and not just constantly to him.

Anyone else want to share their views please. Thanks.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello Hmaq,

I have experience of both types of group tutoring ie.11plus specific tutor groups and general tutor groups.

I think you are talking about the all-purpopse tutor group companies?
I found that although they can be good to help children in english/maths but i didnt find them useful for the high standards required for in the eleven plus.

Also the vr/nvr can be very general and your ds will need to learn the techniques specific for the tests they are taking.

My ds joined an eleven plus (tiffin) specific group and the main advantage was that he was able to learn with similar minded children.

It all depends on which tests your ds is taking and whether the company have knowledge of the specific subjects needed to be covered.

And the most important thing is that your ds should be comfortable!

Hope that helps!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

yes mine was a tuition center for the 11+ - covering my area and a neighbouring area :)
Last edited by tiredmum on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

It seems the general opinion is that group tuition do not work for many because of the group and general nature. Am I correct? :? :? :?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

hmaq wrote:It seems the general opinion is that group tuition do not work for many because of the group and general nature. Am I correct? :? :? :?

lol= not really :lol: the group worked really well for my dd1 - she didnt have a one to one tutor
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Thanks for the replies. I think it stll depends on the chemistry, if it clicks for the child, it clicks. It could be the group, the tutor the other children, etc. One has to make a tricky judgement quite quickly.
redstar

Post by redstar »

My DS is starting to work through practice papers at home with a view to trying for Tiffin in 2012 but without much pressure as -so far- he and I can manage it ourselves (I hope I don't regret saying that!)
But I am also interested in some group tutoring both to help motivate him and also so I can get an objective idea of how he is getting on. Would anyone from the Kingston / Hampton areas be kind enough to recommend any tutors for small groups that are fairly specific to Tiffin entrance?
As a new forum member, I am already grateful for all the advice which people share on this forum - hopefully someone can help.
Thanks!
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Sorry I am not in the Tiffin area. Perhaps others might come in. Though, the forum does not allow open recommendations.

God luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now