3D Films

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

3D Films

Post by Snowdrops »

Just been to see my first 3D film (I know - SO behind the times :lol: ) and gosh do I feel sea sick! I didn't realise when I told my middle dd that we'd go to see a film this afternoon as a treat (trying to think of things to keep us occupied all the time without costing too much money and without getting bored/dd being able to do it is almost a full time occupation!) that it was in 3D.

First of all the cost of it nearly made me faint! Then the actually motion sickness almost overtook me - I tried taking the glasses off but all there was were fuzzy, out of focus pictures and then (oh the shame) there was only dd and myself in the cinema!!!

They advertised 3D tv coming soon, is this the way things are going? Will all future films be done only in 3D? Does anyone else feel like this when watching 3D?

Actually the film we went to see was StreetDance and I quite enjoyed it (apart from feeling sea/motion sick :cry: ).
Looking for help

Re: 3D Films

Post by Looking for help »

I think I agree with you, Snowdrops. I haven't actually seen a film in the cinema in 3D, but did got to a couple of filmed 3D shows in Disneyland, where creepy crawlies are jumping out at you, and it wasn't much fun for me :oops:

We recently saw Avatar, which I thought was excellent, but we saw it on DVD, and I was mighty glad it was not in 3D, as I think I would have struggled to watch it.

I saw an ad on the TV for 3D tv, and am not convinced at all. Someone told me that they were hoping to show some of the World Cup in 3D but I think they must have been pulling my leg, can you imagine ? You'd be jumping up and trying to save when whats his name drops it again :lol:

So you're not the only one behind the times, I'm there with you :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Haven't managed to see anything in 3D yet - have attempted to drag children to see various things but they've resisted (on the other hand, Master 1880 was very keen to see Avatar which I didn't fancy at all and managed to stall until it had gone - guess what my fathers day present was? :lol: ). There's a screen in the BBC in B'ham that's supposedly showing a loop of something in 3D, however when I tried watching it didn't seem to matter whether I was wearing the glasses or not, it was just a blurry smear whichever.

Mike
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I've seen a few and I have to say that it was bearable for 20 mins in the Harry Potter films but an entire film in 3D is too much. I hear there are plans to release the 7th film in 3D as well as to re-release all the others in 3D. The only way I can cope with a fight scene is by looking slightly to the left or the right, which defeats the object. I'm sure it can't be good for you to be diving for cover every couple of minutes.
Y

Post by Y »

I've read or heard somewhere that the sort of problems you mention can be caused by problems with binocular vision - eg, a very mild 'hidden' squint, or other such. Might be worth consulting an optometrist.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have one very weak eye and an astigmatism, 3D stuff and those simulator rides make me feel really sick, I have to focus on a patch of floor and remind myself it's not real!

I couldn't do those magic eye things either!
surreydad2010

Post by surreydad2010 »

At the cinema it's mostly caused by the truly rubbish glasses they give you.
When you are watching at home on a 3d TV then you will more than likely use a nice, more expensive "proper" pair. Ones that cover your eyes properly...
The cinema ones dont cover your peripheral vision hence sometimes it can make you feel woozy..
3d is the future...give it till 2012 and it will be fairly standard at home..
andyb

Post by andyb »

I've only been to see a couple of 3D films and they make me feel sick too - one of them was Ice Age 3, so not even a fast action film. I wear glasses and trying to get the 3D specs to fit as well is just impossible. Unfortunately the films DS's want to see are only available in 3D at our local cinema - I guess we will be waiting for the DVD.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

I too struggle with 3D films .. end up feeling seasick :roll:

I even had a problem with the movie 'Cloverfield' as it was filmed in such a way that half way through the film I had to make a visit to Armitage Shanks :shock:
Heartmum x x x
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

OK - you've persuaded me. I'm never seeing a 3D film.

I feel queasy watching the weather maps flowing across the screen on the BBC...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now