Open Days

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
asdguest

Open Days

Post by asdguest »

Thought I'd statrt a new topic to get everyone's views on these and any tips for prospective newbies.

This is my second round of visits and have found it a different experience second time round. First I know more - like book early - second, my first child was very independent and went to most alone or with friends.

One thing that annoys me is registering, so going to Birmingham and not having to is bliss. Secondly, there's never anywhere to park. Third I hate boring talks or one where they just read out the printed brochure.

Further, so many places interview so you have to go again later, and they often have post-offer days so you feel you should go a third time!

Occasionally they give out vital snippets of info that you don't get in the prospectus - I found this particularly the case for medicine.

I could go on - you'd probably guessed - but then there'd be nothing for anyone else to say.

Any advice or tips?
KenR

Re: Open Days

Post by KenR »

Do you mean your DC actually let you go round with them! - I took my DD and her friend to Cardiff last year and was under strict instructions to spend the day in the gym and just pick them up afterwards!
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

:D First time round with dd1 I was only allowed to go to one Open Day as noone else wanted to visit - I wasn't even allowed to drive them, they went via public transport.

This time with ds2 I have been allowed to all of them! Who says boys are more lazy?

I have been amazed at how many go 'en famille', some take both parents and siblings!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Whats your DC applying for
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Chemical Engineering
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes the day trips with parents and siblings amaze me. They seem to be quite the norm, but the idea of going with my parents still makes me squirm. I am unclear how more parents have the time to go now. You'd think there would be more of them working too hard with only a few days holiday trying to save up the fees and maintenance, and that the last thing they would want is five days out to concrete, brick or stone jungles.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Maybe as parents are supporting kids thru Uni more they want more say and have a bigger interest as to where the kids go.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

My mum accompanied on one trip in 1987 and it cost £80 for both of us so she refused to accompany me the second time round.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I always went on my own ... part of growing up , and thhe trips were not geared to parents.
RaineB

Post by RaineB »

As a chemical engineer, and knowing how hard it is to recruit chemical engineers, it's so heartening to hear that there are people still interested in the subject. The process industries seem to be decidedly unfashionable. At least your DC should be able to get a good job at the end of their degree :) .