Academy Status for Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
when the process will end

Academy Status for Grammar Schools

Post by when the process will end »

It is very interesting to read the list of grammar schools on bbc website keen on Academy status and as early as September 2010.

Judd, Skinners, TGS, Newsted Wood et al in our area. The list also includes top grammar schools like Wilsons, Sutton Grammar, QE, HBS. It however seems that St Olaves has not put an expression of interest.

Will the change of status be advantageous or not for these well performing schools?? Time will tell...

Do parents have a say in the decision making process?
doodles

Re: Academy Status for Grammar Schools

Post by doodles »

I couldn't find The Skinners' School on either list so it doesn't look as if they have expressed interest.

I will remain confused until I am enlightened.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I have read elsewhere that in order to find out what academy status entails, the school has to make an initial 'expression of interest' - there is not a lot of information available until they enquire - and that initial contact is what has been published. Whether or not the school decides to take it further has yet to be seen.

I think it's a case of watch this space...
SSM

Post by SSM »

Skinners' was on there when I looked yesterday.

Also the headmaster has previously stated that he wanted to break free of local authority control.

I think he has seen the freedom that academies have and feels that it would improve the school if they were allowe the same freedoms as academies.

There is an article on 'this is Kent'
doodles

Post by doodles »

SSM you are right Skinners is on of the lists on the BBC site but not on the other one I was looking at! Am off to find the this is Kent article - thanks for the pointer.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

All in black and white from '******' 8)
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

tonbridgemum wrote:All in black and white from '******' 8)
:?