Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Booklady

Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Post by Booklady »

Hi guys - any ideas for some more books to get for my DD in Y5 who is an avid reader- and several years ahead of her age in terms of reading. I bought a load of Michael Morpugo a while ago on the advise of someone on here - but she has gone through these soooooo quickly! Read all Harry Potters, Series of Unfortunate Events, many Enid Blyton, Jaqueline Wilsons etc, and the childrens versions of the Shakespere stories - and many more! She likes 'long books' which take more that a day or so to read!!

Any ideas welcomed!!
Thanks
8)
zvrk

Re: Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Post by zvrk »

You can try registering on this website
http://www.lovereading4schools.co.uk/login

or just type in google y5 reading list ,and it will come literally with hundreds of links.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Try The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively. It is a little dated as written in 1973 ( there is a comment about the proposed channel tunnel for instance), but this doesn't detract from the story and it is beautifully written. My DC have loved it and I have read it several times. We bought a new copy last year, so it is easily available.
Also some Malorie Blackman may be suitable - but the brilliant Noughts and Crosses series will be best left until she's older. Pig Heart Boy is good, as is Cloudbusting - written in verse.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Philip Pullman does children's books too.
Before reading the Percy Jackson books I got DS to read 'Tales of the Greek Heroes'. She might enjoy that.
Also 'Holes' by Louis Sachar.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Toms midnight garden
Little women
Spiderwick chronicles
Anne Frank

They are a few my dd's have enjoyed :)
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Time to dig out the classics, Treasure Island, Black Beauty, Swiss Family Robinson, Yr 5/6
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
mother night

Post by mother night »

Hi Booklady

My DD loved the Willoughby Chase chronicle by Joan Aiken.

I had the opposite problem to you in the respect that my DD is not an avid reader and I started reading these to her when she was in Year 4 ish to impress upon her how wonderful books could be. It helped but I loved them too. From memory there are about 10/11 books in the saga with the first book being the weakest and the next novels introduces some really feisty characters-( girls too). There are some strong story lines which didn't tire, set in an alternative history and I was so sad to finish the last one- like saying goodbye to an old friend. My daughter still dips into them.

'I Coriander' is in the same vein and if she like fantasy Garth Nix is an interesting change - especially the 'Keys to the Kingdom' chronicles. I think series books are great as they keep evolving and I've tended to find that the main protagonists are not only having adventures but dealing with fallible human problems too.

Happy reading

MN
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

All great ideas! I will try some of these!

Thanks so much! :D
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

My year 4 DD really loved The Hobbit and has now started on The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which she adores. She also enjoyed Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men series and Percy Jackson.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Anthony Horowitz is very popular at this age.

Swallow and Amazons

Robert Westall books (Machine Gunners was my favourite book in '4th year juniors' (AKA year 6))