Appeal to Test - Bucks

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
drummer

Appeal to Test - Bucks

Post by drummer »

Attended the appeal to test my son today which felt like it didn't go too well. I suppose I should just wait the 7 days for the result, but you know how you run over things in your head (and over and over!)

The LA's case was simply that DS had not achieved level 5s in Maths and English. Now, I went with my gut instinct and advice from the SENCO at DS's old school to keep my argument similarly clean and simple, not least because:

1) the whole case is messy and complicated
2) I have a tendency to babble incoherently, especially under stress!

So, in a nutshell, my case was that DS was tested after the KS2 SATs and found to have moderate dyslexia, dyspraxia (handwriting speed on 9th percentile) but General Ability on the 84th percentile and that had he had any extra time that he would most likely have achieved level 5s. I was able to show that it had been the writing element of the English test that pulled his mark down from a 5 and that his teacher had anticipated a 5 or high 4 for maths. He got a 5 for Science.
The EP also wrote a letter endorsing the request to test saying his profile was suitable for a GS and that she thought he would have got 5s with some extra time

However they were then asking lots of questions around how DS felt about the situation etc. Now this is a huge part of the messy complicated bit and only because HE really wants to go to a GS so the 'arguments' on that side are very strong BUT, because I wasn't really prepared on that side of things I wasn't able to come up with the clear succinct explanations that only came to me on the walk back to the car.

The other thing that threw me was the Chair asking me why I hadn't ticked that my child was disabled under the DDA, I said I though I had and they looked and said 'Oh yes', then the ex secondary teacher asked about Statements and why I hadn't ticked that box. I explained that he didn't have a Statement, that I heard that they were notoriously difficult to get for dyslexia and all the information I had read had said they were aimed at children at the extreme ends (1st percentile) of disability. She said " but you have said that he in on School Action Plus (which I confirmed), and that comes after having a Statement". Now, I think she was completely mistaken, but she being the 'expert' and me the know-nothing-parent, I felt it best not to argue the point but it flustered me even more.

It certainly wasn't what I expected.
Etienne

Re: Appeal to Test - Bucks

Post by Etienne »

It's easy to get flustered when you're not expecting something. I hope they realised this (most panels would).

No idea what the outcome will be, but I can say that it's usually very difficult to tell, even if you feel you've been 'grilled'!

We've had lots of examples on Appeals of people who think it's gone badly, but find out they've won!

Hope you'll be one of them. :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ds#p171381
Etienne
KS10

Post by KS10 »

She said " but you have said that he in on School Action Plus (which I confirmed), and that comes after having a Statement". Now, I think she was completely mistaken, but she being the 'expert' and me the know-nothing-parent, I felt it best not to argue the point but it flustered me even more.
At our school, we have several children on SA+. I believe it's SA then SA+. Maybe the person thought that SA=Statement.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's certainly School Action, then School Action plus, then a Statement.

When they were discussing the case afterwards, it's likely someone (the clerk, or another panel member) would have put her right.
Etienne
drummer

Post by drummer »

Well, we'll see how it goes. She was the only 'educator' on the panel and she was very, err, assertive and made me look a right idiot.

Anyway, fingers crossed!
drummer

Post by drummer »

appeal successful! Son is delighted, now just the 'small' hurdle of sitting and passing!
chad

Post by chad »

Well done..... see. they can be hard to read. :D
drummer

Post by drummer »

Well, he sat the test, without any extra time because we didn't want to delay the process by waiting for the 'panel' to sit and he PASSED!!! 128!!!!! Not bad at all for someone who is dyslexic and dyspraxic!

Now the further hurdle of no grammar school places - he is elated and distraught all in one go, poor lad.
chad

Post by chad »

Really happy for your son. ...not sure on the situation of places...what is the next step?
drummer

Post by drummer »

Another appeal...sigh. Apparantly there are no Y8 places anywhere in the county. I have some experience of this kind of appeal as we originally appealed for him to get into another (upper) school as we suspected that the school he was allocated wouldn't suit him.

As I understand it we have to convince the panel that the prejudice to him by not giving him a place would be greater than the prejudice to the school and the pupils already there if they did give him a place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now