King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kegs Mom 3

King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

I notice that the King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy is going ahead, as of this Sept.
Anyone have any opinions on/ knowledge of this?
Will it have any impact on the existing KE Schools?
Also I note that the KE schools have registered interest in becoming Academies, is this really the way forward?!
I feel slightly uncomfortable with it all, although I don't really know why?
Any thoughts, very much appreciated!
hermanmunster

Re: King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy

Post by hermanmunster »

I get the feeling that lots of GS may be expressing an interest just to get more money. There are often these initiatives in the public sector :roll: and it is sometimes wise to be in on the first wave and not get left behind.... off course sometimes it is better to stay put!

Depends what ultimately is on offer!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

KEA has a letter to parents available on their web site about the academy situation; basically, the GSs have registered their interest but are not going any further until the legal issues are clearer.

Mike
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Many thanks to both hermanmunster and mike1880 for your replies, KEA obviously the most efficient of the KE bunch!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Too right, we've had nothing. It looks as though the others only update their websites about every 2 years, and none of them (not even KEA) has managed to get anything up about this year's admissions arrangements, unlike BV and SCGSG. :evil:

Mike
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Yes, I'm a little concerned that; they're at best side-tracked, at worst, totally bogged down with this very soon to be, King Edward VI Sheldon Heath Academy!
When KECH year 8 ds came home with a letter informing us that the extremely recently introduced opportunity to study a third language, Spanish, was being halted as they couldn't afford the staff required, then the warning bells started to ring!
Nobody else seems worried though so it's probably just me!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm slightly miffed about the Spanish (would probably be easier for Master 1880 than the ludicrously compulsory French, but would also help to reinforce it) but he thinks it's brilliant because he wanted to do German anyway. Personally I think they should scrap the French...

I think the school was already expecting to feel the financial pinch in the next few years, even before the current government decided that Trident replacement and foreign wars are important enough to merit cutting 25% off the education budget.

Mike
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Agree with you on French, as does my ds, who was really enjoying German and Spanish! Still I suppose he can always learn Spanish in his 'spare' time at some point.
um

Post by um »

I totally agree about the languages - I am of course really happy my son is going to Camp Hill, so is he, and overall it is the best I can do for him.
My son has been learning Spanish and is asking me if I can find a club for him to continue to GCSE. If there are a few parents who want this perhaps we could set up an paid-for after school club for this.

I'm aware that French is compulsory there and he'll have no choice but to do it, but in terms of usefulness, I'm not entirely sure of the point any more. I have an A* in GCSE French and have never had the opportunity to use it - I doubt I could string together a sentence now.

Surely Mandarin, Japanese, Russian and Arabic can open far more doors in both diplomacy and business?
Spanish is at least spoken by much of Latin America as well.

Um
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now