Formal of Sutton Mocks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2Girlsmum

Formal of Sutton Mocks

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I know that these are in NVR, VR and maths and that they aren't full tests, but can anyone tell me the number of questions for each and time allowed? Thanks in advance!
Daogroupie

Re: Formal of Sutton Mocks

Post by Daogroupie »

My elder dd did the mocks last Sept and my younger dd is doing them tomorrow. DD says that the maths was last and was quite a random number. The Non VR was straight through and NOT in Sections. This did not reflect her subsequent experiences in Non VR exams where she had timed sections and could not use the extra time she saved in codes to spend on another section that she found easier. So be aware of that. VR and Non VR were multiple choice and maths was write the answers on the papers. Take lots of pencils as they get blunt very quickly and tell your dc that there will be the noise of people dropping pencils on the floor!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Maths was 17 questions this year. VR and NVR was about 50 questions. So yes its shorter than the real thing.
Impossible is Nothing.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Thanks everyone. DD found it 'Ok, scary and fun'. She was a bit nervous going in (clutching and drinking from her water bottle like a baby milk bottle!), but said that it was fine once in the hall. She noticed both hall clocks were at the wrong time - one by over an hour and the other about 5 minutes:) and was happy her little sister gave her a watch just before going in.

Apparently the maths had '2 or 3' sections to each question, so the 17 questions were more like 45. NVR was 30 questions in 15 minutes and VR 55 in 30 minutes.
Results available online in a couple of weeks so we'll see, but I'm not TOO worried at this stage as her real test isn't until late November. We have been pacing ourselves so that maths and english are nearly covered and not too much time spent on VR and NVR yet as they are her strongest subjects.
The experience of pre-exam nerves and the formality of the test environment was priceless though, and she said that it should make her less worried on the day (unlike us!).
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

2Girlsmum wrote:Apparently the maths had '2 or 3' sections to each question, so the 17 questions were more like 45.
Oh that explains it because I was wondered why they would give just 17questions :o
She forgot to tell me then they were 2 or 3 section, ah well :roll:
Impossible is Nothing.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Gawd! Are you sure the VR was 55 in 30 minutes. That was the only one my dd did not finish! She has to do 100 in 45 minutes in November so if it really was 55 in 30mins and she did not finish we have some SERIOUS work to do over the summer holidays!

Just as I was feeling really pleased with myself and so was she! She finally came out of the shadow of her older sister and went in there and did it with no fuss. Older dd is secretly terrified she might actually beat her on one of the papers because we quickly established within minutes of her coming out that it was exactly the same paper as last year. This does not matter at all because nobody gets to sit it twice and it means that year on year comparisions are very valid. But in my family it gives younger dd a fighting chance of doing something better though she was six months younger at the time of the exam than older dd. Thank you Sutton PTA once again. I credit this mock with getting my older dd through the first round of Henrietta Barnet and now this year for finally getting younger dd off the mark and running. I would pay ten times the amount for this experience though it has gone up from fifteen pounds to twenty in the last four years. My dd was one of only of eight white children in the hall. I think all the other local white familiies were in the high street shopping. Well done once again to the local Asian communities for making the most of the opportunities presented to them though some of them looked so nervous you would have thought they were doing it themselves! We came from Herts and would do it again if we could. Even though we had to go into London and out again as no trains were running through London. It is a great bonus to have such a fab high street minutes away. We could have quite happily spent a few more hours there. Only one more weekend left so hopefully just a couple of weeks to results. Wonder if there were more or less candidates than last year.
Josa

Post by Josa »

Thank you Daogroupie for your feedback (great as always). Ds will take the exam on Sunday which I believe is the last slot, looking forward to the day and good to know there is a fab high street minutes away.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How did you get on yesterday Josa? It's a great high street isn't it? And how did your ds find the exams?
Josa

Post by Josa »

Hi Daogroupie,

Got on really fine, well except for the journey which took forever (over 2 hrs). Ds enjoyed the experience, a bit nervous before he went in but ok as soon as he got in to the hall. He said he found the VR and NVR quite easy, managed to finish and had a few minutes left to go over his work and maths a bit tricky (will have to wait and see as ds has the tendency to rush through his work and then ends up making silly mistakes, I've often told him that he won't get a prize for finishing early).

He said VR was 55 in 30 mins, NVR 30 in 15 mins and confirmed that Maths was 17 questions but qs 15 - 17 had 4 sections to it. He said they were told after the exam that they will get their results in 10 days, does anyone know how, email or post?

All in all a good day out for us as it was a beautiful sunny day and just glad ds got to experience the process. I know it's been said before that the results of the mock tests are nothing to go by in preparing for the real exams but I'm sure it will at least give a slight indication of how they are performing and hopefully help us to pick up on the missing gaps, oh well still a long way to go till November!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Josa wrote: He said they were told after the exam that they will get their results in 10 days, does anyone know how, email or post?
They will put the results on the website and you need the candidate number to check your son's score. Last year's scores are the ones still up but you can find the results here http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... ults.shtml

They said it will be early august for results so I guess we just have to check in the coming week or so on the website.
Impossible is Nothing.