Alcester Grammar test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Alcester Grammar test

Post by um »

I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the Alcester Grammar test, as I may be moving into the priority circle and considering it for my younger children.
I had thought it was the same CEM test as the Stratford Grammars, sat in September, but on looking at the Alcester Grammar prospectus it says that it is a test of 2 VR papers. Is it a different test -and if so, is this traditional VR?
Thank you so much if you can shed light on this.
mike1880

Re: Alcester Grammar test

Post by mike1880 »

That's out of date information, Alcester is the standard Warks CEM test (1st weekend in October).

I'd sort of formed the impression you were in Solihull (vitriol re: Kings Norton High notwithstanding) which would put you well inside the circle.

I can't imagine there can be many places where you can easily get to both Alcester and Camp Hill? Solihull certainly (which also gives you the Stratford schools), perhaps Barnt Green. Not many other places?

Mike
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

AGS really needs to update its website. The school is great, but it isn't helpful to have an out-of-date prospectus online, particularly one with inaccurate admissions info.

There is an open evening this Thursday, by the way. If you want your child to take the 11+ this October, you have to register with the LEA by the 16th July.
um

Post by um »

Mike, your reasoning is awesome. I am in Birmingham, as the profile suggests, and currently outside the Stratford/Alcester priority circle. Nevertheless, leafier streets may indeed beckon, if only for the sake of my 2 youngest's Primary places. The older 3 were lucky to be born in lower-birthrate years when places were free for asking.

I don't have a child taking the exam this year, but will next year, and just wanted to have some idea of what kind of exam it is in advance. Alcester may also be my reality choice for my 3rd child, who is unlikely to make KE Grammars unless she suddenly starts doing some work! (you never know).

Thanks for the info, which has confirmed what I thought I knew!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm not sure how much difference there is between the KE girls/5W and Stratford/Alcester in terms of what it takes to qualify (we could really do with statistically significant numbers of parents doing both and posting results :) !).

Mike