Getting kids active!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

onedown01

Getting kids active!

Post by onedown01 »

DS is active, but not sporty. Hates football and rugby etc. Hates competing in general. Far happier if he can swim / cycle/ walk/ . Any ideas on how I can at least get him to enjoy these sports at school? (School is rugby mad)
mike1880

Re: Getting kids active!

Post by mike1880 »

Why do you need to?
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Hi onedown01,
Similar problem with DS, except he doesn't even cycle! Secondary school is going to be a shock as it is quite sports orientated although he has volunteered for their summer sports school. Apparently they go swimming each day and then try a selection of sports from rugby, football,kwik cricket,basketball,tennis,badminton and others. Being entirely non-sporty myself, I'm hoping this opportunity will help him to enjoy sport rather than being the last to be picked for every team like I was!
Lots of schools and local authorities run similar schemes throughout the summer, maybe you can find a space on one?
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Milla

Post by Milla »

Mike, you're being very feisty today, i think you should go and make a badger or something.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

You need to find a little known medical condition and let him skive. The optician or opthamologist is useful here.
For example - "X has glasses which render it unsafe for him to play ball games and without them he cannot see the ball anyway!
It worked well for Dr Magwich when he was at school and has worked since for the Magwiches!
Rugby is a game for thugs and brings out the worst in boys IMHO. DH has 2 pupils in one class who have sustained what is probably permanent brain damage playing rugby. Apparently there is a 1 in 12 risk of injury in any one year playing school rugby and one child each week in the UK ending up at least partially paralysed due to rugby.
There is no way that Magwich minimus is ever going to play this horrible game. I do not blame your son at all; he sounds really sensible!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

What if he decides he likes it Magwich? Would you really stop your son from taking part in the sport?? I may not like certain things but I would not stop my children doing them. I know of children who have had accident's and bad ones from riding their bike, or getting hit by a car when walking into the road, accident's aren't just prone to Rugby.
Last edited by Midget Man on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Gosh, I find that really hard to believe that one child per week is partially paralysed through the game of rugby. Have you any evidence to back up that statment Magwich?

In all the years my OH played rugby we never knew of anyone, personally, who was paralysed - black eyes, broken noses, ripped ears yes!! but not paralysed (but I do accept it can happen).
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I think it was a radio 4 programme some time last year - I agree the figure seems high . Maybe it includes brain damage as well.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make s/him drink... to quote a cliche. If he enjoys non-school sport, then don't worry. You never know, he may actually enjoy it. My son isn't the fastest runner or most natural sportman, but has found his niche as a goalie.
Milla

Post by Milla »

magwich2 wrote:DH has 2 pupils in one class who have sustained what is probably permanent brain damage playing rugby. Apparently there is a 1 in 12 risk of injury in any one year playing school rugby and one child each week in the UK ending up at least partially paralysed due to rugby.
NO! this cannot be so! :shock: Never heard of it, apart from that poor boy whose parents assisted in his suicide. And maybe one or 2 others over, what? a decade.
What's that quote? Rugby is a hooligans' game played by gentlemen and football a gentlemen's game played by thugs. Played properly it is a joy to behold. It relies etiquette and is certainly not a sport to bring out the worst in boys. Plenty brings out the worst in all children, but not rugby. There will always be some vile little monster muttering something nasty in the scrum but, again, children are quite capable of being vile little monster whatever the circs. Bitchy, superior girls; callous, oiky boys. Can't blame it on rugby.
But, back to OP. Hmmm, a tricky one. It's easy to slag off the system, it's also easy to say, why should my child join in, he's not that sort (I know you're not saying any of this at all - but people do). My child would quite happily never enter another D&T room or another art room or, frankly, another classroom of any sort really. But sometimes you just have to! Sorry, not answered at all but had to have a hoity toity blow at Magwich (with whom I quite often agree. Just not now.)