Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
youngest

Warwickshire 11 Plus Registration Form online now

Post by youngest »

The Registration Forms are now online:-
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/11plus
The forms are also to be sent to Year 5 children in Warwickshire Schools next week.
Our journey begins!
Ed's mum

Re: Warwickshire 11 Plus Registration Form online now

Post by Ed's mum »

Wishing anyone embarking on the 'journey' all the very best wishes.
Ed's Mum. X
youngest

Post by youngest »

Thanks Ed's Mum :)

I emailed round for Open evening dates and this is what I have had back :-

Ashlawn : have 2 Prospective Parents Evenings: 30.6.10 and 23.9.10 both run from 6.30-8.30 with a talk from headteacher Lois Reed at 6.30 and 7.30pm. the June event is earlier to help parents who may be making up their minds about applying to sit the 11+, but it is open to all families.

Sheriff : Our open evening is on Thursday 24 June 2010 when the Headmaster will speak at 7.15 pm and 8.15 pm, followed by tours of the school.

Harris : Open Evening for September 2011 intake will be 28 June 2010, 6pm-8pm

It is DS2 turn, so I haven't contacted the girls' school!
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Anybody had any confirmation back that their posted application form has been received ?

Posted ours about a week ago, heard nothing yet (it does say allow 10 days I seem to recall) ?
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

No, haven't had ours back yet - also posted about a week ago. Plenty of time yet.
Robbie09

Post by Robbie09 »

I've just looked on http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/11plus and there is some new info about what is in the test :lol:
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

i dont get the bit about trying to 'eliminate cultural bias' in case the child has problems with English ?

Ermm , isnt that the point of the test ? (bangs head on desk)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It is; the info sent out for the B'ham test contains (or did when we got it a couple of years a go) a statement that although the test is designed to measure potential rather than achievement, it nonetheless demands a very high standard of English.

You could argue, I suppose, that the statement is broadly true because verbal, numeric and non-verbal each contribute a third to the final result while making up about 50, 35 and 15% of the raw marks respectively, so it's possible to get a strong pass with a very low score in VR (or any other single category come to that) providing you get high scores in the other two.

(I must admit, I have reservations about so few VR questions making up so much of the final total, I'd be interested to know the reason for that.)

Mike
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Mike - How do you know how much each section is worth per centage wise ?
is that an official figure or guesstimate ?
Concerned

Post by Concerned »

I, for one, am pleased that there's a levelling measure (NVR). My daughter is very bright but struggles with reading, so much so it's a chore. Her level of vocabulary is therefore much lower than someone who's always found reading easy. Her level of recall and understanding from auditory means is excellent, her mathematical reasoning is strong and she can successfully solve many a tricky problem. She'll do well at any school that offers her a challenge be that a selective school or not.

Not all clever children have a superb grip of the english language, and equally those with excellent literary skills are not necessarily genius.

I'm nearly 40, still struggle to read unfamiliar words and regularly make a fool of myself whilst deciphering (sp?) text. However, I have a degree and I'm a chartered engineer, founded, I'm sure, on my grammar school education. So hooray for NVR!!
Concerned
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now